• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

what should I do with all these wheaties?

11 posts in this topic

Well I bought a couple pounds of wheaties off ebay, and will be getting a few more soon. I went through the first batch, and filled many slots in my whitmans. Highlights of the batch was a 1910 and a few 1919's. smile.gif I have the second book almost all filled now, with the exception of three coins! but the first book (early years) is still pretty empty.

Anyway, I now have all these wheaties left after the slots were filled. Nothing special, just regular circulated wheaties. I was thinking of just rolling them and taking them to the bank. Maybe getting them out into circulation to spark some interests in others. grin.gif But I am not sure if that is the best thing to do with them. I dont really think I want to keep them, I mean, they are circulated wheaties, they are really only worth a cent and kind of heavy to store.

So got any good ideas? SHould I just roll them, or maybe mix them in with other pennies so there are a few in each roll (would take a while that way). I would spend them, but i dont spend many pennies. Maybe carry some with me and put them in any give a pennie containers I see grin.gif

You can always start making more and more partial sets of them and sell them. Many young collectors would love to buy them as an easy way to get a head start into the series.

EVP

It might involve more effort than you want to put into it, but it could pay off to look through them for doubled dies and repunched mint marks / over mint marks. With over 2,500 different die variety dies out there to be found, I am relatively certain you have at least one, possibly more.

you could also contact a local coin club, or scout troop to see if they have any young collectors that might like them.

Truly, I think spending them is probably the best way to get rid of them if you're not interested in selling/storing them. You can leave a few in the take a penny/leave a penny dish at convenience stores. You can strategically drop them in public places like a mall where some person may find them. Putting together a folder for a child with as many slots as you can fill with them is also a great idea.Or you can take a picture of yourself with them and sell them as unsearched on ebay.

Neil

You know, I have thought about the idea of putting older coins back in circulation to "get someone hooked" and I question whether it's a very effective strategy. For the most part, I doubt people who are not collectors even notice (after all, it's still the same shape, color and obverse as a 2002 cent, just not as shiny). The same is true for silver, the only exception is using say mercury dimes since they do look different. The way I use spending coins as a way to entice new collectors into the hobby is just a little simpler, I regularly spend halves. Most people don't know they still exist, and I can't tell you how many conversations I've had with kids working at stores or fast food joints that were really interested in what they were. And the bonus is, I can do this perpetually, with no real cost other than picking up a roll or two at the bank every few weeks! Do what you want with the wheaties, but I would advise trying to find folks (especially younger folks) that would already appreciate what they are, or who you could at least explain what they are, which you can't do by dumping them in rolls at the bank.

Some good suggestions here!! smile.gif I think I am going to see if i cant fill another set of books when i get the next couple lbs of wheaties. Probably put the best coins into the new book to keep for me then give the other book to some kid. Maybe one of my little cousins will show an interest in coins and would like them (none of them are old enough yet to know). Then maybe take the rest of the coins and see if i can find someone that wants them. Maybe the local library or something, not sure if there is a local cub scout troop anymore, will have to find out, since that is probably the best place to give them and have them do some good, who knows, maybe they can use them to get some badge or something grin.gif

Thanks for the suggestions!!

I have been going through all the old whitmans my dad gave me. I might see if I cant fill them all up smile.gif Since my collecting is stalled at the moment while I decide what I want to do, and find the money to do it.

IMHO, I question the economical feasibility of filling an album by buying in bulk. I bought a bulk amount of Walking Liberty half dollars to start my collection. I wasn't too happy with the quality of the coins. So, even though I have a complete set, I've been slowing exchanging my Walkers into uncirculated specimens (lustrous white). The 1921 S will be a tough one since it sells for c. $11k. Well, my point is, I feel that you would get farther ahead in your collection if you would just buy the coins needed to fill the empty slots. Although, I like the suggestions given above to stimulate interest in the hobby. Good luck!