• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Poll if you sell on eBay, do you allow returns?

Do you allow eBay returns?  

177 members have voted

1. 1. Do you allow eBay returns?

42 posts in this topic

I don't publicly offer a return policy because 95% of what I sell is graded by NGC or PCGS. So the grade is guaranteed. That said, if someone contacts me and is disappointed or feels I misrepresented an item, I'd be happy to accept a return. I'd ask them to pay the return shipping if they just were unhappy with the coin, but felt it was listed correctly. If they felt I misrepresented it, I would pay return shipping to make sure they return as a buyer.

That said, in two years of selling coins on ebay, I have never received a negative or return message at all. If I were dealing with raw coins, I would rethink all of the above and probably have a public return policy.

When I did eBay, which has been some time, I would allow full return plus postage on non-certified and non-bullion only. All else were "as-is".

Of course, I seldom sold certified or bullion, so it was basically a non-issue.

I will offer returns on everything except I usually provide good pics and description for NGC & PCGS coins and state no return on those. If there was a problem with the coin that a buyer brings to my attention on a slabbed coin that I didn't notice, I'll refund full price and any shipping charges involved. Of course I'm not a big seller. I only have a feedback of 65 for selling, BUT, it is 100% positive!!

I will offer 7 day returns on individual coins raw or slabbed, and with small groups of coins. If I am selling a large lot of material however, I don't offer a return policy. I just don't want to deal with the guy who decides to switch out some items or outright take a coin or two from a large lot and then return the rest to me. That said, if a buyer felt I somehow misrepresented the lot then I would take it back if they contacted me. I always take a lot of pictures so this hasn't ever been a problem for me.

I offer a 14 day return policy, but I'm beginning to rethink it. I've had three returns in the last month, which costs me not only the original postage, but also the transaction fee on eBay.

I have gigantic scans of my coins, so everything's visible. One return was because the coin was "stained on the edge" (it was toned), and another return was because the buyer didn't think the mint frost was thick enough.

:shrug:

the transaction fee on eBay will be refunded if you go to the resolution center under your account tab

and under I sold an item. I want to cancel a transaction. It will then ask why and you put down seller returned for refund. - it will get refunded as soon as buyer approves, or 7 days has elapsed

PAYPAL will refund your fees if you go to the original transaction and go to details, and then refund transaction - you have 60 days for this

but you are still out the packaging time / material / postage

There was only one period of time when I sold raw coins. It was when I had a "garage sale" to get rid of stuff that I did not want and in some instances, never should have bought. I did accept returns and had a few returned

Since then, I have only sold graded coins and no, I have not accepted them back, though I never had anyone ask. I have not accepted them because I did not need to do that. If someone did not know whether they really wanted the coin, there were (and are) other buyers who I know that did (and do). And the reason for this is because, while I do believe that the coins I sold were of good quality, they are not generally available elsewhere at any given time.

the transaction fee on eBay will be refunded if you go to the resolution center under your account tab

and under I sold an item. I want to cancel a transaction. It will then ask why and you put down seller returned for refund. - it will get refunded as soon as buyer approves, or 7 days has elapsed

PAYPAL will refund your fees if you go to the original transaction and go to details, and then refund transaction - you have 60 days for this

but you are still out the packaging time / material / postage

And the .30 cent fixed transaction fee from Paypal...

https://www.paypal.com/helpcenter/main.jsp;jsessionid=7gynP8HfyhMSqvT1yyJV1YGwHjyHhjr3xZp0fh2yj19bDGGcXY3F!1861461667?locale=en_US&_dyncharset=UTF-8&countrycode=US&cmd=_help&serverInstance=9024&t=solutionTab&ft=searchTab&ps=solutionPanels&solutionId=11723&isSrch=Yes

Not much, but something nonetheless.

I allow retuirns on everything I have ever sold(well over a thousand) with less than 2 or 3 returns. The customer pays return shipping unless it is my fault, then the customer pays nothing.

Jim

I allow returns on everything---7 day review.

Buyer pays return postage + insurance + signature confirmation. If there are any fees not refunded by eBay, buyer also pays that.

Carl

I refuse to buy a coin on E-Bay I cannot return. It stands to reason I'd offer the same.

Well said.

From my perspective, selling on E-bay with a "No Return" policy makes absolutely no business sense:

1. Many buyers will not bid or buy coins (certified or raw) with a No Return policy. This significantly cuts down on your potential market.

2. Establishing trust as a seller is very important to optimize your return - a No Return policy undermines your trustworthiness as a seller – it makes it look like you are trying to get away with something – it feeds suspicion.

3. A No Return policy can encourage dissatisfied buyers to leave negative feedback or file cases against you without contacting you first (it makes you appear ridged and non-approachable).

4. It is essentially meaningless since E-bay arbitrates any disputes and their enforcement decisions trump your policies (E-Bay/PayPal owns the sandbox you are playing in). Many sellers are shocked to find that E-bay provides a de facto return policy even if you don’t.

5. Good sellers cannot avoid occasional returns but they can definitely minimize them with good business practices – Returns are a normal cost of doing business.

I offer a 14 day return policy, but I'm beginning to rethink it. I've had three returns in the last month, which costs me not only the original postage, but also the transaction fee on eBay.

I have gigantic scans of my coins, so everything's visible. One return was because the coin was "stained on the edge" (it was toned), and another return was because the buyer didn't think the mint frost was thick enough.

:popcorn:

I allow returns on everything, otherwise one could get negs and scare off buyers. In addition, bc ebay is essentially sight unseen (buyer has not had chance to examine coin in person like at a show) I want to be fair and offer the buyer a no question asked return policy. At shows, sales for sight seen transactions are final. Otherwise, I would be allowing people to shop my stuff around the room.

While I have very few returns on the Bay, you will have someone return a coin for some screwball reason they don't agree with TPG A. Translated this means the coin won't cross in their view. These are almost always auction buyers where the coin started cheap. When the coin is relisted BIN / Make Offer and someone has a fair offer I do better on it than the original guy. That person does not return it. I had this happen recently, made more money on the coin than if the first guy had kept it lol.

Many dealers dislike people buying coins to cross them bc they will try to buy or bid low to cover their costs of resubmittal.

:popcorn:

Hey Blowie. You're not gonna have much fun amongst the coinees. ;)

There is definitely a difference of return patterns for different levels of coin dealing.

I've never sold anything more than $400, and that's rare. My usual range is $10-$50. I sell almost exclusively in raw/not worth slabbing coins. So I'm going to have a greater share of novices, novices who, for example, think toning on the edge is a "stain."

I suspect higher market sellers don't deal as much with that, because people spending, say, $3K on a coin typically know what they're looking at.

For the record, I hadn't had a coin returned..I think ever...until the three I had returned in the last month. One of the coins I had returned I offered as a second chance, and the buyer loved it.

I will say, as a comic book seller, I haven't had anything returned in about 8 years.

I have allowed returns on all coins except for bullion coins. The buyer is responsible for return shipping. I have never had an eBay return.

Ditto

I rarely have returns as I specialize in coins for the budget minded collector under $500, many in the $50-$100 range. I leave bigger ticket material off the Bay mainly for my retail clients and shows. Its harder to make 20% on a $1000 coin than a $100 coin.

When I sold last year, I had high res images, all coins were certified NGC or PCGS, and I offered full return no questions asked. I won't buy on ebay if the sellers don't have the same. Despite having some of the best images on ebay, I still had returns on 3 of around 55 sales over the year. Interestingly, I relisted all of them, and got a better prince on all 3 the next time around. And of course, because I offered returns and treated buyers with respect, they worked with me to get my FV fees back through the ebay system. Customer service matters.

I have offered a 7 day return on all coins that I have sold on Ebay in the past. I have only had one coin returned which was in a slab and subsequently sold it for more than the first time. It was a correctly graded "O" mint MS61 gold dollar and the first buyer expected a full strike.

I have noticed since Ebay changed their Buyer Protection Policy again, that almost no sellers still offer returns on coins. I do not buy raw coins on Ebay, only certified ones.

... I have noticed since Ebay changed their Buyer Protection Policy again, that almost no sellers still offer returns on coins. ...

I agree with this observation. E-bay’s intervention to force more liberal return policies is having the opposite effect among Coins and Paper Money sellers.

E-bay is doing away with 3-day and 7-day returns. They want sellers to offer a minimum 14 day return. I offer a 7 day return on everything I sell and I feel very comfortable with that but a 14 day return period seems excessive.

However, I will move to a 14 day return policy once E-bay forces the issue but I suspect the standard among coin sellers will become a "No Return" policy which of course is unenforceable; "even if you specify no returns accepted, buyers may still return these items if they don’t match the item description and the buyer files an eBay Buyer Protection case."

These changes will serve to increase buyer/seller conflict as buyers try to enforce their "No Return" policy and sellers become less willing to work conflicts out directly with sellers.