• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1942 half dollar

20 posts in this topic

My guess, is that all all of the marks on the eagle and on Liberty's thigh are pre striking planchet marks. The coin is not fully struck up and the striking did not get rid of these marks. I'm going with PF64.

I can't get over the fact that I'm looking at a greatly magnified image that may skew an accurate evaluation.

This is a proof coin that seems to have some lower central line issues---ie skirt below the left hand. Given that these flaws may be greatly exaggerated by the magnification, I'll go with PF65.

Carl

I'm kind of surprised by the central weakness in the strike on this coin. You don't typically see striking weakness, and certainly not to this extent, on proof coins. Because of this, I would have to give an otherwise attractive coin a 64.

Interesting! I had upped my grade from 63 (oversized images) to 65 (smaller, more useful images).

The only argument I would make against 66 is that scratch on the torso, but really, it's literally splitting hairs in these grades. There's no really strong feeling either direction for me.

Nice coin!

IGS or International Grading Service seems to grade on par with the main stream TPGs such as PCGS and NGC (at least from what I have seen from their slabs I have here at home). They all have moments where they over grade and moments when they under grade. Does that mean that I would go out of the way to buy their graded coins, probably not, but if the coin looked right for the grade or looked better than the grade displayed on their slab then I would consider the purchase. But the same goes for any of the slabbed coins.

It's nice to see that PCGS thought the coin was the same grade as IGS though.