• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1916-D Barber Quarter--Grades Please

What Grade will NGC assign?  

75 members have voted

1. 1. What Grade will NGC assign?

15 posts in this topic

I know this should be in the other section but I think it will get more traffic in US Coins. What grade would you expect this coin to get upon submission to NGC?

BQ1916-DGEMBUsmall.jpg

Please vote in the attached poll and give your reasons for your grade in the thread if you please.

I don't see why it would get anything less than 65. The luster appears strong, the strike is good, there are few marks, just a couple of luster grazes on the cheek. It appears to have been dipped, but probably only lightly once. Unless there is something I'm missing or hiding, that looks like a very attractive coin.

I can't offer an opinion based on the pictures. The luster looks nice, but the pictures appear "grainy" to me, so they could be hiding a lot. Larger, sharper images would help...with the understanding that they magnify "blemishes" beyond their real appearance.

It will never get an MS-65 because it has been dipped. Dipped coins don't get "honor grades" like that any more, if they ever did. It also has a tiny rim bump at 4 k on the obverse and marks in the right field.

I see a POSSIBLE hint of friction on the highest points of the obverse. If so it's either an AU-58 or more likely an MS-62. On a good day it could get an MS-63. The lack of originality precludes anything any better. My vote would be MS-62.

It will never get an MS-65 because it has been dipped. Dipped coins don't get "honor grades" like that any more, if they ever did.

I have seen no evidence of this. Dipped coins get high grades all the time. Doesn't mean I agree with it, but that's the way it is.

Although it most certainly has been been dipped at some point,

it still retains all its original Luster - and I can not see any detractions

on the surfaces - so - I'll go out on a limb [ I hate grading MS coins

from images ] and say the coin is at least a 64+ [ my vote ].

Interesting observation about "Honor Grades".

Best of luck to you !

EDIT:

If that coin gets an AU 58 - I'll buy it as a type coin. :whistle:

I know this should be in the other section but I think it will get more traffic in US Coins. What grade would you expect this coin to get upon submission to NGC?

BQ1916-DGEMBUsmall.jpg

Please vote in the attached poll and give your reasons for your grade in the thread if you please.

As stated many times, I do not grade from pictures because I do not have any talent to do so, unlike many others.

I like the coin, dipped or not, typical or not, etc.

However, I really like the die breaks.

Respectfully,

John Curlis

The minor abrasions on the cheek and left field on the obverse and the hit on the shield on the reverse cause me to conclude MS 64+. The coin is a bit dull which I assume is causing others to conclude it's been dipped, I just don't have the capacity to make that determination.

The 1916-D quarter is a "hoard coin". Hundreds still remained in unbroken rolls up until just a few decades ago, which is why there are so many GEMs, and why it is probably THE best choice for type. Many undipped examples most definitely still retain blast white surfaces today.

Yours looks MS-65 to me from those images.

Although it most certainly has been been dipped at some point,

it still retains all its original Luster - and I can not see any detractions

on the surfaces - so - I'll go out on a limb [ I hate grading MS coins

from images ] and say the coin is at least a 64+ [ my vote ].

Interesting observation about "Honor Grades".

Best of luck to you !

EDIT:

If that coin gets an AU 58 - I'll buy it as a type coin. :whistle:

lol, if this coin gets AU58, I will crack it out and send it to PCGS. I am glad to see that my opinion of the grade matches that of the Barber connoisseur.

The darker areas on the obverse make me think it got a 64 holder. I never get the + stuff right. I'll give the reverse a 65. Nice coin.

Well, we are going to have to wait to find out because I have not actually submitted it yet. If the majority of the members thought this was MS63, I was going to sell it raw. Since most feel it is near gem, I think it would be worth it to have it graded. Now I just need to find some other coins to submit as well.

It sure is a pretty Barber, no question about that. I voted AU-58 as I see just a tad bit of rub on Miss Liberty's hair just above the hair line. Of course it's very hard to tell/grade from images and this could very well be an MS-65.....Joe