• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WHERE DID THEY GO? posted by namvette68

8 posts in this topic

Hey Namvette,

When I read your journal...I just about fell out of my chair laughing my :censored: off. I didn't know if to take you seriously or not?? Either way it was funny.

Thanks and did you know the Mint was selling some cool coins a few months back..I think they were called the SAE 25th anniversary set or something like that.

Take care

Jeffrey

This is exactly what I was talking about when I posted my gripe about NGC's decision to remove PCGS graded coins from World Coin Registry Sets. To be specific, in a journal entry on the subject, I talked about how I went through some of the World Coin sets and took a look at the 1st, 2nd and 3rd place position collections.

In those sets, I saw that in a number of instances, the 1st place winners, ironically the people to whom NGC just bestowed awards for "BEST IN CATEGORY 2011," were going to drop like rocks.

Then, 2nd or 3rd place collections, would magically jump to 1st place, all because their coins were graded by NGC vs. PCGS, which is odd, since NGC never gave more points to either coin in the US or World Coin sets.

So, NGC giveth and NGC taketh away.

Meanwhile, NGC assured us this "would affect relatively few users."

I'm sure this FORMER first place registry set winner feels just great about being among the chosen few.

This is exactly what I was talking about when I posted my gripe about NGC's decision to remove PCGS graded coins from World Coin Registry Sets. To be specific, in a journal entry on the subject, I talked about how I went through some of the World Coin sets and took a look at the 1st, 2nd and 3rd place position collections.

In those sets, I saw that in a number of instances, the 1st place winners, ironically the people to whom NGC just bestowed awards for "BEST IN CATEGORY 2011," were going to drop like rocks.

Then, 2nd or 3rd place collections, would magically jump to 1st place, all because their coins were graded by NGC vs. PCGS, which is odd, since NGC never gave more points to either coin in the US or World Coin sets.

So, NGC giveth and NGC taketh away.

Meanwhile, NGC assured us this "would affect relatively few users."

I'm sure this FORMER first place registry set winner feels just great about being among the chosen few.

The entire first sentence of the last paragraph of their announcement is not founded in reality. I replicate it below with emphasis added by me....though, yes, I realize this topic has been beaten to death.

"Most NGC World Registry Sets are already NGC-exclusive, so this change will affect relatively few users. Ultimately, it will allow us to create more accurate Registry Sets, streamline the process for adding coins to sets, and enhance the competition."

1) The change affected many of the best sets of world coins.

2) Accuracy is not a real problem, as the Krause is the guide by which NGC created sets. Any discrepant or uncertain PCGS attribution could have been simply excluded. That would be a rare happening, in my experience.

3) Streamline what process? PCGS coins in US sets are still verified by a human being, so what's the difference if the handful of world coins are added to that list. In addition, NGC could spend some money on an IT person who could help streamline the checking process by using a Perl -script (or something similar) to pull the information from the PCGS site in batch for newly added coins and the process would be a matter of seconds.

4) I'm not sure how excluding some of the nicest world coins that happen to be in a different companies plastic "enhances" the competition.

----------------------------------------

In summary, some of the likely unforeseen consequences of this move have been that, not only did many people with PCGS coins remove all of their sets, but many sets with several NGC coins were also completely removed. As example, the Lithuanian set that brolytiz had put together was one of the nicest around, and he had wonderful pictures. It was 50% NGC and 50% PCGS...and now, the Lithuania category is empty. That's quite an "enhancement". This is just one of many examples.

rantrant:makepoint:

Consumers have no friends in the retail world, Companies provide benefits to entice consumers but in their cold cruel calculation, if the benefits cost outweighs the benefit value, to the company, then the benefit will be modified or withdrawn.

Their is a general feel in the marketplace that PCGS is 1A and NGC is 1B, the fact that NGC allowed PCGS coins in its registry sets was, oddly enough, a subtle confirmation of that belief. I believe NGC originally tried to change that perception by allowing PCGS coins in sets and valuing them equally. They were hoping the marketplace would also take that suble cue and give them equal standing. It has not worked and now NGC appears to have decided on a different tack where they will be PCGS-like and present themselves to their international customers as equal or better than PCGS.

Sure there has been fallout and hurt feelings and anger but they have done their cost-benefit analysis and they will move on with their new paradigm. I believe the other shoe will fall in a few months and all PCGS coins, except possibly in the Collection Manager, will be removed from the registry..

As I stated before, this will not change anything for me, I will continue to enjoy the forums and the company of all the great and intelligent persons who remain.

Happy Valentine's Day Everyone,

Malcolm

122164.jpg.629075d6913503fbc23a517622d595bf.jpg