• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

what is going on with this 1878-cc?

15 posts in this topic

so its made from heat.. not in minting?

can you please tell me if morgan dollars still is legal tender in us??

i fight with danish customs:-)

Yes, all currency and coin ever minted by the United States is still legal tender.

so its made from heat.. not in minting?

can you please tell me if morgan dollars still is legal tender in us??

i fight with danish customs:-)

Yes, all currency and coin ever minted by the United States is still legal tender.

Yep, even Trade Dollars, half cents and large cents. Trade Dollars lost their legal tender status because they were cropping up in circulation in the U.S. at time when the mint would convert your silver into those coins for little or no fee. The trouble there was lot less than a dollar’s worth of silver in them so private individuals were collecting the “seignorage” from them. That threatened to wreck the U.S. monetary system.

The half cents and large cents were coins of convenience at the time they were minted. They were intended to purchase small items in the every day economy, but not for satisfying large contracts. Therefore they did not have legal tender status.

The Coinage Act of 1965 monetized or re-monetized everything that the U.S. mint had issued on an official basis.

Now, if you choose, you can got to the store and spend your half cents, large cents and Trade Dollars on anything you like. ;)