• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1892 Columbian Half.... estimate the possible grade please.

9 posts in this topic

This is the coin to which I made my avatar from. I purchased this coin last summer at a coin expo here in Dalton GA for $12 or $14 (if I remember correctly), either way it was under $20. The obverse and reverse have the same color as the obverse picture below even though the picture of the reverse looks much lighter.

DSCF0430-smaller.jpg

DSCF0431-smaller.jpg

Image14.jpg

whenever I see toning changes around the letters / devices and field I think I need to look very close with loupe because coin is probably cleaned.

The sails on the reverse look either weakly struck or lightly worn / rub

The rim / edge look very good, like no wear so BU?

UNC with light cleaning / polish

I didnt see any signs of polishing, but it is possible I suppose. Here are two more pictures under different lights. These pictures let you see that both sides have the same depth of darkness

1982ColumbianHalfObverse-smaller.jpg

1982ColumbianHalfReverse-smaller.jpg

couple of closeup pictures.

The sails look better in hand then they do in the pictures.

Image65.jpg

And I cant see any indications that the coin had been cleaned or polished when looking closer at it

Image66.jpg

I'm actually going to go a different route with this one - I think this was a circulated prooflike coin. When new, it probably had nice reflective surfaces. The circulation has worn and impeded them, leaving traces of shininess that is easy to mistake for polishing. I don't see any overt signs of polishing on this one, though. PL's are relatively common on Columbia's.

Thank you everyone for the grade estimates, This coin is not one that I intend to submit since just about every grade of this coin is cheap and easy to locate already in a slab. I am just glad to hear that I located a decent raw example to join my other raw commems.