• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

slabbed coin with inactive PVC

22 posts in this topic

if a coin gets slabbed with 'inactive' pvc,

what is the longest period of time it could go before it starts pitting/growing or become noticable?

That usually will not happen, but best thing to do is crack it as soon as you notice it. The sooner the better. As for a time frame, it all depends on the coin.

It needs to be cracked out and dipped immediately.

Coins with PVC damage are essentially unsellable whether slabbed or raw. Many of these cats and dogs are disposed of on the sight unseen market.

Many slabbed coins seen today with PVC damage were submitted in soft flips which had PVC. Over time the PVC damage became evident.

One of the big risks of buying coins is that the coin will eventually go bad in the holder. On big ticket coins this can be disasterous.

PIC of coin, area in question is below jacket between jacket and rim - it was resubmitted around 16 months ago as a regrade - they should have caught that as a TPG, no?

That usually will not happen, but best thing to do is crack it as soon as you notice it. The sooner the better. As for a time frame, it all depends on the coin.

then if you crack it out you have to send it back in to get re slabbed. i guess it depends on the coin and rarity. jmo is all

then if you crack it out you have to send it back in to get re slabbed. i guess it depends on the coin and rarity. jmo is all

Let the grading service crack it out so they can fix it or pay you for it. If you crack it out, all bets are off and you own the problem and the grading service is off the hook.

I found purchase pick from March of 2007

I did return it, 10/2011 as a regrade - the entire batch was basically a reholder - guarantee seemed only good for collecting more fees from me

I found purchase pick from March of 2007

I did return it, 10/2011 as a regrade - the entire batch was basically a reholder - guarantee seemed only good for collecting more fees from me

Did you actually submit it as a "regrade" as you stated above, or as a submission under their guarantee and make note of the PVC on the submission invoice?

a submission of 8 coins as regrade -

my understanding at that time was they cracked them all out and started from scratch,

they now have a guarantee resubmission option that I don't think was available at that time (at least not on the form).

Is there such a thing as "inactive PVC"?

It is my understanding that PVC can be chemically treated to render "inactive", and that the PVC remains chemically "active" unless treated. How ? I don't know.

How long? I don't know. I would think a very long time, based on some legal proceedings involving certain corporations.

Respectfully,

John Curlis

It is my understanding that PVC can be chemically treated to render "inactive", and that the PVC remains chemically "active" unless treated. How ? I don't know.

How long? I don't know. I would think a very long time, based on some legal proceedings involving certain corporations.

Respectfully,

John Curlis

Why not just remove the PVC with a soak in acetone? It's cheap and easy.

Respectfully,

John Curlis

Why not just remove the PVC with a soak in acetone? It's cheap and easy.

One would think so.

But (blah blah) I can assist you slightly, by referring you to certain Corporations that have tried to treat certain chemicals (in one very important case PVC) with certain other chemicals, and the result.

I am sure that would be bubbly and kissy-face huggy bear happy to describe to you how that worked out for them.

Respectfully, (Always)

John Curlis

Let the grading service crack it out so they can fix it or pay you for it. If you crack it out, all bets are off and you own the problem and the grading service is off the hook.

Agreed. It is in their holder; thus, it is the TPG's problem.

Could you clarify?

Respectfully,

John Curlis

Could you clarify?

Respectfully,

John Curlis

The PVC spotting is covered under the PCGS guarantee. They will either dip the coin and reslab it (if it is gradeable and not damaged) or they will compensate him.

Could you clarify?

Respectfully,

John Curlis

The PVC spotting is covered under the PCGS guarantee. They will either dip the coin and reslab it (if it is gradeable and not damaged) or they will compensate him.

Thank You.

Respectfully,

John Curlis

Could you clarify?

Respectfully,

John Curlis

Thank You.

Respectfully,

John Curlis

The major grading companies guarantee the grade and the authenticity and fixing or buying back a coin that turns within the slab is part of this grade guarantee. Whoever pays for the grading also pays for this guarantee which accompanies the coin no matter how many times it changes hands.

a submission of 8 coins as regrade -

my understanding at that time was they cracked them all out and started from scratch,

they now have a guarantee resubmission option that I don't think was available at that time (at least not on the form).

That was your mistake - the coin should not have been submitted as a re-grade. The "guarantee submission" has (rather quietly) been available for many years, though it has not always been included as an option on submission forms. And it should have been/should be.

thx, I will do that next time - it seems they have a $25 fee (refundable if change) on current form

I have made a lot of mistakes in numismatics, hopefully costing me less and less every time, and not repeated