• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

160 lot NGC-graded American Silver & Gold Coin Auction

18 posts in this topic

Hello everyone, just thought I would pass this on to the community. There's a lot of great stuff here.

- A 160 lot auction consisting of 150 lots of NGC-Graded Silver and Gold American coins.

- Over 100 - Morgan Dollars all MS63 or higher

- Early State Commemorative Half dollars including a rare "Texas Old Spanish Trail" MS 65

- Contemporary gold and silver bullion coins including an MS69 $5 Gold Jackie Robinson Commemorative

- Silver proof sets and more!

Bid live on premise, online or absentee

There is a preview at the sale site by appointment Feb. 13-14 10am-4pm and 12pm day of auction. Auction Begins at 3pm pacific time.

Auction location: John Moran Auctioneers, 735 West Woodbury Road, Altadena CA 91001

inquiries:

email - info@johnmoran.com phone - (626) 793-1833

Preview entire coin catalogue here at February 15, 2012 American Coin Auction

More Sale details at: www.johnmoran.com

There are some nice looking items there... but wow.... Is it me, or does the pricing for bidding via the internet seem a bit steep? A 15% premium for bidding via internet, 17.5% if paying by credit card, and an additional 3% online transaction fee? Worst case scenario, you end up paying by credit card and tacking an additional 20.5% onto whatever you pay for a coin?

Like I say, maybe it's me, but paying an additional $40 plus shipping on a $200 coin for example seems like a lot.

There are some nice looking items there... but wow.... Is it me, or does the pricing for bidding via the internet seem a bit steep? A 15% premium for bidding via internet, 17.5% if paying by credit card, and an additional 3% online transaction fee? Worst case scenario, you end up paying by credit card and tacking an additional 20.5% onto whatever you pay for a coin?

Like I say, maybe it's me, but paying an additional $40 plus shipping on a $200 coin for example seems like a lot.

The 3% fee is assessed by the Online bidding company due to the convenience of using the real-time bidding console...

As a buyer, your best bet is to bid in person or call or fax your bids into the auction house to avoid the 3% fee, then pay by cash or wire transfer to avoid the 2.5% credit fee. With this scenario you pay a 15% premium.

Bids are starting at roughly half of NGC book values, leaving plenty of room to bid accordingly.

To show our thanks to our buyers, all purchases over $500 (aggregate purchase value) will be shipping FREE via USPS Priority mail with insurance within the U.S.!

This is a great single-owner collection that we are honored to handle. Please do not hesitate to contact us with any questions or concerns. It is going to be a lot of fun!

I am pretty new to the whole auction scene, so maybe this will work better than I am imagining. I am just thinking about general estate type auctions I have attended in person in the past... it seems like bidding by fax would leave you at a disadvantage just because of how fast auctions tend to move.... or am I wrong about that in relationship to coin auctions? I have never attended a coin auction in person, so I may be talking out of my hat.

very nice graded coins but I like to see the detail in the coins, the pics are not good enough to buy from, and the reverse of the coin is upside down

I have to agree with the above statement. Combine that with "all sales final" and the 25% buyers premium to bid online and pay by credit card/debit card, I'll have to pass as that anyone that is not local to the auction would have to trust highly in the descriptions only.

I am pretty new to the whole auction scene, so maybe this will work better than I am imagining. I am just thinking about general estate type auctions I have attended in person in the past... it seems like bidding by fax would leave you at a disadvantage just because of how fast auctions tend to move.... or am I wrong about that in relationship to coin auctions? I have never attended a coin auction in person, so I may be talking out of my hat.
Your biggest disadvantage would be not viewing the coins in person. Those are by far the worst pics of coins I have ever seen. I could take much better pics myself, and that ain't saying much.

The buyers premium isn't really an issue. You just figure that into your bid. I do it all the time with Heritage.

very nice graded coins but I like to see the detail in the coins, the pics are not good enough to buy from, and the reverse of the coin is upside down

I have to agree with the above statement. Combine that with "all sales final" and the 25% buyers premium to bid online and pay by credit card/debit card, I'll have to pass as that anyone that is not local to the auction would have to trust highly in the descriptions only.

Bidding on the floor gives you obviously the best advantage. However, all bids are executed to the best of our abilities and fairly across all bidding channels.

Just to clarify; at MAX (worst case scenario) the buyers premium would be 20.5%

Best case scenario, the premium could be as low as 15%; I'm not sure were that other number of 25% came from?? All bidding starts at roughly half of NGC book value and most of the coins are NGC slabbed and graded. This leaves plenty of margin to bid accordingly and make up any associated costs with buying at auction. This is true with any auction.

Best case scenario, the premium could be as low as 15%; I'm not sure were that other number of 25% came from?? All bidding starts at roughly half of NGC book value and most of the coins are NGC slabbed and graded. This leaves plenty of margin to bid accordingly and make up any associated costs with buying at auction. This is true with any auction.

This is quoted right from your site. Conditions of Sale

"6. Buyer’s Premium: The buyer agrees to pay the sum of the hammer price plus a premium of 20% (of the hammer price) when paying by check, cash or wire transfer, or 22.5% if paying by credit card, together with any applicable tax. Buyers bidding via the internet agree to pay a total premium of 22.5% when paying by check, cash or wire transfer, or 25% if paying by credit card (both include 3% online transaction fee)."

"7. Buyers bidding via the internet agree to pay a total premium of 22.5% when paying by check, cash or wire transfer, or 25% if paying by credit card (both include 3% online transaction fee)."

so which is correct, what your site is saying, or what you are saying?

"6. Buyers Premium: The buyer agrees to pay the sum of the hammer price plus a premium of 20% (of the hammer price) when paying by check, cash or wire transfer, or 22.5% if paying by credit card, together with any applicable tax. Buyers bidding via the internet agree to pay a total premium of 22.5% when paying by check, cash or wire transfer, or 25% if paying by credit card (both include 3% online transaction fee)."

"7. Buyers bidding via the internet agree to pay a total premium of 22.5% when paying by check, cash or wire transfer, or 25% if paying by credit card (both include 3% online transaction fee)."

Thanks for the valid question Chris. The coin auction has a special lower premium when compared to other auctions we conduct due to its numismatic nature. There are currently 3 other auctions being advertised on the site, with only the coin auction carrying the decreased buyers premium. The conditions of sale on the website have now been further clarified to avoid confusion. Once again, please do not hesitate to call or email with any questions. Thank you for the helpful input! JMA

O-K I got it now. The coins start at 75% and go up from there.

Bidding starts at roughly 50%-----------54.5%

Buyers premium------------------------------20.5%

Starting base price total-------------------75%-------GOOD LUCK!!!

BAD PICS & FREE SHIPPING

Did I get everything???

Yeah, between the low detail "pig in a poke" photos, the buyers fees totalling a base of 75% of NGC book out of the gate, and the other limitations, I think I am going to pass on this one... might be fun to watch.... if I have nothing else to do...right...

"6. Buyers Premium: The buyer agrees to pay the sum of the hammer price plus a premium of 20% (of the hammer price) when paying by check, cash or wire transfer, or 22.5% if paying by credit card, together with any applicable tax. Buyers bidding via the internet agree to pay a total premium of 22.5% when paying by check, cash or wire transfer, or 25% if paying by credit card (both include 3% online transaction fee)."

Thanks for the valid question Chris. The coin auction has a special lower premium when compared to other auctions we conduct due to its numismatic nature. There are currently 3 other auctions being advertised on the site, with only the coin auction carrying the decreased buyers premium. The conditions of sale on the website have now been further clarified to avoid confusion. Once again, please do not hesitate to call or email with any questions. Thank you for the helpful input! JMA

There is also a problem with the bid increments that tends to invalidate your claims regarding the maximum upcharge. For one particular item, I would bid $111, but the next valid increment up is $120. This requires me to bid about 8% higher than I really want to. It may not sound like a lot, but the particular item has very thin resale margins. Since it's an online venue and the computer does all the math anyway (easy for a computer), you should consider a simple $1 increment everywhere.

As it stands, I will simply not bid on the item.