• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1868 3CN Arrived Today

14 posts in this topic

MarkFeld_ThreeCentnickel1868ngc65NGC1.jpg

Sellers Image

Super nice pastel colors. :)

James B. Longacre design. Mintage of 3,250,000.

History:

From the Redbook, Professional Edition, First Edition.

The nickel three-cent coin debuted in the final year of the Civil War, 1865. The American public was still hoarding silver coins (a situation that would continue until 1876), including the silver three-cent piece. the highest-denomination coin in circulation at the time was the recently introduced two-cent piece. After 1875, when silver coins circulated once again, the three-cent denomination became redundant and the mintages dropped. The last pieces were coined in 1889.

From NGC Coin Explorer

Business strike three cent nickels appear to be one of the more undervalued areas in the coin market today. They are very scarce in an absolute sense, especially in comparison to their proof counterparts, and are also very challenging to locate in better-than-Gem grades.

Seller's Description

As business strike Three Cent Nickels go, this one is quite colorfully, in fact, rather wildly toned. The hues are more vivid than seen in the image, and this is easily one of the prettiest business strikes I have seen of any date and grade.

Thanks again Mark! (thumbs u

I'm wondering why this example did not get a star? hm

I find your 3 cent nickel very attractive. The surfaces look blemish free and I'll just bet the colors are more vibrant than shown in your images, the strike is also appealing with my eyes. Congrats on such a nice pick up, another great addition.....Joe

Thanks all for the kind words!

(thumbs u

Mark's images are much better than anything I can do.

For what it's worth, the 1868 3CN is tied for the lowest number certified and this one is a 65/CAC.

I was actually surprised when Mark said it was still available. My lucky day. :)

agreed amazing rainbow coloration

that usually manifests itself as pastel rainbow because of the 75% copper 25% nickel mix

coin is a monster (thumbs u :applause: (thumbs u in terms of eye appeal

and rare as such

and a rare rainbow which i rarely if ever see on this coin as due to the copper streak in the misalloyed planchet and this line or streak of copper going across the left to right side---- the copper streak between i and a in america and the i in united to the first s in states ------gives the coin a wonderful rainbow hue

and this new copper nickel alloy mix is hard to combine and roll out perfectly

especially at the mint in the later 1860's

superb!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!