• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

18-s walker

9 posts in this topic

It's hard to tell a weak strike from a slight rub on these pictures. My opinion is that the coin has a rub all the way down Ms. Liberty's body and on the eagle on the reverse as well. I'd grade it AU-55 also.

If there is mint luster in the weakly struck area, or if the weakly struck area shows who one might call original planchet marks, it could be a low end Mint State piece. Determining of the area has original planchet marks is part art and part science. ;)

Part art & part science. Usually, from AU 58-MS 62 it is just a guessing game and, yes, even for the professionals.

On a good day ms 62 and on a bad day au 58. There are coins (that I have seen, personally) that I am quite SURE are AU 58 sliders and they wind up in TPGS holders with insert numbers as high as MS 63!

My answer to you.........I would HAVE to see it in hand and, regardless, those are BOTH two very nice coins.

Just curious why the off chance it could be a weak strike? The 18-s is one of the most elusive strikes in the series is it not?

DSCN5545-1.jpg

The 1918-s, like many early Walking Liberty Half Dollars, is known for a weak strike. The reason I attributed it to wear was what I perceived as a dark gray appearance on the high points devoid of luster. This would be suggestive of wear. I will admit that toning can cause a similar appearance at times and with the weak strike, it is very difficult to discern. Provided that this is not rub, I do not have a problem with a MS62 grade.

I vote for a rub on the coin in Liberty's face and on the breast feathers on the reverse. Very nice slider which may be market graded on a sliding scale to MS62.