• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

And now fake CAC stickers are being found on the market

17 posts in this topic

It was just a matter of time before this started to happen. Of course they have not perfected them (that I know of), but it has begun.

Counterfeit Slabs Hit the Market

"This month, I have duplicated a slab that some unfortunate collector showed me at the F.U.N. Show. With a little searching I was able to find a similar copy of the fake “CAC” sticker that was glued to his slab with a coin that in my opinion did not meet the CAC standards. Note that the “green bean” is in the correct location on the slab, but it was not even a hologram! I don’t think this one would get by a major dealer, but flee market vendors watch out. "

Lag time is usually 3-6 months. Counterfeits coming onto the market start at the flea markets, swap meets. Then, enter ebay. By the time these coins make it into the general coin show circuit, the public already has been saturated. It's been over 5 years since good Chinese counterfeits were being produced. Most likely, almost every large spending collector/dealer has purchased, handled or seen a slab counterfeit, with or without knowing.

TRUTH

Note that the “green bean” is in the correct location on the slab, but it was not even a hologram!

Getting a hologram version out there won't take long.

does this add legitimacy to the CAC program?

I mean someone thinks enough good about it to copy it.

No they are just looking for any way to make $$$

to me it means that collectors need to rely less on the stickers and inspect the coins better.

Edited to add:

With as many people buying coins from online auctions (not just ebay) and/or internet retail stores based on a digital image, it would be very easy for them to make a fake sticker close to that which the CAC uses to lure buyers into purchasing the counterfeits more so than they already do. After all, the plastic holder has either a green or (the holy grail) gold sticker, it has to be legit right? Unfortunately, there are a lot of people that purchase coins just because of those simple add-on stickers. And since there was a company to make the sticker, it wouldnt be hard for a counterfeiter to duplicate the hologram with proper equipment. And with amounts of money that are spent on these sticker-ed coins, they would quickly recover their cost of the equipment.

Are you refering to CAC or the counterfeiters?

Are you refering to CAC or the counterfeiters?

Both!!

This is a non issue as far as I am concerned. They can put a fake sticker on a slab but they can't add the coin to the CAC database. Protecting yourself against a fake CAC sticker requires only a smartphone and the knowledge of this web page:

CAC Verification Search

This is a non issue as far as I am concerned. They can put a fake sticker on a slab but they can't add the coin to the CAC database. Protecting yourself against a fake CAC sticker requires only a smartphone and the knowledge of this web page:

CAC Verification Search

Except for when they locate genuine coins that are CAC approved (i.e. they have a valid serial number) and then make convincing fakes with more realistic CAC stickers...

CAC Verification Search

Except for when they locate genuine coins that are CAC approved (i.e. they have a valid serial number) and then make convincing fakes with more realistic CAC stickers...

So you're talking about a counterfeit holder, grading label and CAC sticker? Regardless, it comes down to looking at the coin, itself. And that is something that buyers should be doing anyway. ;)

For example, I am not up on the intricacies of the various counterfeit grading labels and holders. But I have spotted numerous counterfeits on Ebay, based on the appearance of the coins.

After all, the plastic holder has either a green or (the holy grail) gold sticker, it has to be legit right?

You know people used to think the same thing from seeing just the plastic holder.

So you're talking about a counterfeit holder, grading label and CAC sticker? Regardless, it comes down to looking at the coin, itself. And that is something that buyers should be doing anyway.

Agreed, and unfortunately something a lot of people neglect to do because they put too much faith in the plastic.

I dont know much about this situation but are they doing this with toned coins as well ?

I assume that if you have pics from NGC or PCGS of toned coins in their holders in the their database it might make it a little more difficult to counterfeit a coin with unique toning patterns....

Just a thought...

CAC Verification Search

And that is a different issue, a counterfeit slab issue, which I recognize as a real problem.

There is no substitute for being able to grade and look at coins.

The idea a stickered coin is somehow worth a premium is fine in theory but you have to find a buyer who both wants the coin, agrees with the grade, and will pay the extra money. In addition, it has to appeal to their particular preference - brilliant vs toned for instance. Many experienced collectors I see at shows want coins that are brilliant, wellstruck, with nice luster. They are not buyers of coins with dark toning or spots (considered low end by many) or coins with "tab toning" that looked like they were run over by a truck stickered or not.

Before you get buried with big ticket numismatic material, be sure it is at least sellable when that time comes. Tarnished coins can become darker over the years as this is a normal chemical reaction with the atmosphere. Oxygen is a main culprit along with water vapor, salt air, carbon dioxide, sulphur dioxide, and hydrogen sulfide. If your going to spend considerable money on numismatic coins, I would suggest you procure a copy of the Coin Preservation Handbook (by Charles Frank, published 1964) so you can understand coin deterioration factors, coinage metals, coin preservation, and coin cleaning. "The one thing collectors must face are the facts, and not delude themselves into believing that corrosion, in any form,adds beauty or enhances the beauty of aging coins." (Coin Preservation Handbook, page 80). What would he think of all the stickered big ticket coins with sellers asking huge premiums over bid with a circus like description of how wonderful the toning is lol. I know one thing, their toning will probably get darker over time.

Don't get me wrong, I have done well with some fantastic toned coins, but these have to appeal to a certain kind of buyer.

It is a matter of time I believe that someone gets the tech to make convincing looking fake stickers if not already. Then accessing slab numbers, online auctions for instance, they can put that number on their fake slab. I can see them doing this with generic material.