• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1898 Barber Quarter

11 posts in this topic

I'm probably completely off my rocker, but it looks cleaned to me.

I thought the same thing, but assumed that I was missing something (I don't regularly collect circulated coins). I don't see the striations as normal circulation marks at all. Many of them move together in a pattern, consistent with hairlines left from a cleaning.

It looks to have a light, market acceptable cleaning. This shows on the obverse devices the most. The images are high-res and huge making it more noticeable (I would think).

I like the coin and expect it got an XF45 or AU50 grade. The reverse is pretty sweet.

Not off your rocker. It was in a genuine holder for cleaning. I was wondering if anyone would notice because it was very hard to notice. I looked for 5 minutes in different lights sources with my loupe and couldn't see it. Only when I imaged it could I see signs.

Makes me wonder what they use at PCGS, do they have a computer with a microscope to grade coins these days?

Anyway, even knowing it had been cleaned I really liked the look for my dasco.

I watched anacs, icg and segs graders here at a local show using pc based microscopes to grade coins. I cant say that pcgs does the same, but it would not surprise me.

Not off your rocker. It was in a genuine holder for cleaning. I was wondering if anyone would notice because it was very hard to notice. I looked for 5 minutes in different lights sources with my loupe and couldn't see it. Only when I imaged it could I see signs.

Makes me wonder what they use at PCGS, do they have a computer with a microscope to grade coins these days?

Anyway, even knowing it had been cleaned I really liked the look for my dasco.

I debated about whether to call it cleaned or not - but didn't see enough evidence in the pictures to definitively call it. Based on my interpretation of the lighting and camera, it could have gone either way. Still, looks perfectly fine for an album.