• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Goodbye NGC, No more submissions, No more sets

30 posts in this topic

I am one of the collectors affected by NGC's decision to exclude PCGS graded coins from world sets.... I have always preferred PCGS graded coins in any event, but participated in NGC registry because they allowed PCGS slabbed coins to count in world sets. I cannot really speculate on why NGC made this unwise choice, I can only say that I was number 12 in total registry points, and have eliminated each and every set and each and every coin from the NGC registry. If NGC does not want me to participate, so be it. Over one million dollars worth of coins are now no longer on the NGC registry sets....and that is my collection alone. Does that somehow improve the enjoyment for other NGC exclusive participants? This decision makes no sense. Ironically, I had a large group of coins about to be sent in for NGC grading, these coins will now be sent to PCGS.

Goodbye NGC and Good Luck.

Not that I have a dog in this fight anyway but has NGC officially responded to the backlash on this in any way? Seems there's lots of pissed off people and zero supporters. That strikes me as a really bad error by them.

Why did you feel the need to start 3 threads about it? ???

Those of us with million dollar collections have moved on, what does that leave the registry looking like? These are our friends and fellow collectors. It really is a sad. The world registry looks silly now, it will take over a decade to build it back up ... assuming that new big money collectors take up the hobby and buy exclusively NGC coins.

Thread worthy for sure! (thumbs u Not 3 threads in a matter of a few minutes, though. 2 were in the same forum. :facepalm:

Yes indeed, about 1/3 of my coins are housed in NGC holders, I find most dealers prefer to deal in NGC graded coins, quicker turn arounds for submissions, and many other reasons, for example, PCGS will not slab many of the so called coins set forth in Colin Bruce's catalog of interesting coins.....

And, thank you, I will play across the street over at PCGS.

Yes indeed, about 1/3 of my coins are housed in NGC holders, I find most dealers prefer to deal in NGC graded coins, quicker turn arounds for submissions, and many other reasons, for example, PCGS will not slab many of the so called coins set forth in Colin Bruce's catalog of interesting coins.....

And, thank you, I will play across the street over at PCGS.

I wasn't trying to be hard on you, just lots of people that was complaining have there set across the street and also on the NGC registry. They however don't have a single NGC graded coin. I just could never understand playing on both sides.

Those of us with million dollar collections have moved on, what does that leave the registry looking like? These are our friends and fellow collectors. It really is a sad. The world registry looks silly now, it will take over a decade to build it back up ... assuming that new big money collectors take up the hobby and buy exclusively NGC coins.

NGC just started the registry in 2002 and didn't add all of the world sets till just the last 3 years. I think it will look fine in a few years.

Actually, those of us who collect extreme rarities, find that coins are housed in both types of holders, NGC and PCGS, and rather than play politics and have the coins crossed at lower levels, the old NGC registry allowed these rarities to be displayed and included to complete very rare world sets. It is not so much playing both sides, rather it was an avenue for us to display our full collections. Now that is gone, and the reasoning for exclusivity make no sense. If you look to see how many blogs this change in policy has generated, you can begin to understand the disappointment serious collectors feel when rules are changed for dubious or political reasons.

I am willing to bet life will go on without participation in the NGC registry sets.

I have seen a few folks upset because "They don't care about the rankings, they just want to be able to share all there coins in one spot"

You can still put PCGS coins in a custom set and display them that way. Well, that solves that problem...

Ray, do you think I am stupid enough to spend weeks rebuilding all my sets in the 'Custom Sets' section, after spending years building them in the registry?

Do you think I am going to the safe-deposit boxes to take all new pictures, redo all the descriptions of the coins, and spend all that time rebuilding the sets on a different section of the registry?

Your solution works for someone with a few coins, but believe me, the top collectors aren't going to rifle through their entire collection all over again.

Top collections gone, including mine, check it out:

http://coins.www.collectors-society.com/registry/coins/public_sets.aspx?CategoryID=48&SetTypeID=779&sets=all

This set is a joke now. Users have deleted and/or unregistered:

http://coins.www.collectors-society.com/registry/coins/public_sets.aspx?CategoryID=48&SetTypeID=816&sets=all

A better experience for all. This one was one of my personal favourite sets. Goodbye top collections!:

http://coins.www.collectors-society.com/registry/coins/public_sets.aspx?CategoryID=48&SetTypeID=768&sets=all

Actually, custom sets are pretty easy to build.

If, when you removed your registry sets, you did not also remove the coins from your inventory, then it's pretty straight forward.

1. Go to "my collection" at the top, and then "collection manager"

2. Select the coins you want in the set from your list (HINT: you can use the search boxes at the top of the spreadsheet to better find your coins).

3. Click "add to custom set" at the bottom of the screen.

4. Give the set a name and description.

You're done. Images and coin descriptions from your competitive sets should be there waiting.

(shrug)

You know, it is not only what NGC did regarding exclusivity, it is the way they did it, without consult or feedback. Who needs it? It is not that I am bitter about it, it is just a waste of my time.

The result is my coins will remain in bank vaults, and will be re-discovered 30 years from now by my heirs. Is that the result NGC hoped for?

You know, it is not only what NGC did regarding exclusivity, it is the way they did it, without consult or feedback. Who needs it? It is not that I am bitter about it, it is just a waste of my time.

The result is my coins will remain in bank vaults, and will be re-discovered 30 years from now by my heirs. Is that the result NGC hoped for?

Are these trick questions?

Does PCGS always consult or get feedback before they make a decision.

I know for a fact if PCGS did this they would be poofing all of the treads and banning tons of people. You can not speak free ATS without fear of getting banned!!

Well, I guess this is why we have forums to express our opinions and experiences.

There is choice out there, some will use pcgs, some ngc, some will go back to collecting raw coins and maybe learn how to grade a coin on their own. I think I will go out and have a hot fudge sundae instead of slabbing a coin...... maybe 3 ice cream sundaes.

Those of us with million dollar collections have moved on...

Apparently you haven't. If you're going to move on then please stop talking about it and do it.

I know that sounds harsh but why do the few and loud complainers keep harping on this? We get it. You're upset. You deleted your sets. Whatever. Enough... move on.

Consult or feedback??? Are you on the board of directors? Do the oil companies consult you when they want to raise the price of gas?

Waste of your time?? Posting this response was the true waste of your time. Dont bash the company for their business decisions! come on, that is weak! Its simple, if you dont like what a company does, dont provide that company with money. Dont sit here and pretend that your yearly dues are what is keeping this company afloat. Its big business...

Does PCGS always consult or get feedback before they make a decision.

I know for a fact if PCGS did this they would be poofing all of the treads and banning tons of people. You can not speak free ATS without fear of getting banned!!

He speaketh the truth. :P

Those of us with million dollar collections have moved on...

Apparently you haven't. If you're going to move on then please stop talking about it and do it.

I know that sounds harsh but why do the few and loud complainers keep harping on this? We get it. You're upset. You deleted your sets. Whatever. Enough... move on.

It isn't harsh at all. Almost all of the good members of this forum put up with the immediate backlash to NGC's decision without saying a word. But now we have guys like the OP who are joining the NGC forum specifically so they can bad mouth NGC and their policies. I am sick and tired of listening to these babies harp on, and on, and on, and on about. We get it! You don't like it! So go play over in PCGS's sandbox. Oh wait, they don't allow NGC coins in their registry so you are SOL.

I am not putting up with these attacks on NGC anymore and plan to report any post that does so moving forward. All the babies have had their chance to cry, it is time to put a pacifier in their mouths to shut them up!

And for all you World Registry guys who think I would be angry if NGC banned PCGS coins from the US Coin registry, THINK AGAIN. If they banned PCGS coins from the NGC registry, my sets would go up in rank. Furthermore, I wish NGC would ban PCGS coins from the registry. I think it gives PCGS a competitive advantage in the market.

THINK AGAIN. If they banned PCGS coins from the NGC registry, my sets would go up in rank. Furthermore, I wish NGC would ban PCGS coins from the registry. I think it gives PCGS a competitive advantage in the market.

AMEN!!!

There's not a single PCGS coin in my Registry Set, and never will be. If I want PCGS coins then I'll build a PCGS Registry Set. I've always felt NGC should either give substantal bonus points for an all NGC set, or deduct points when a PCGS coin is included.

It would not bother me in the least if PCGS coins were banned altogether.

Fascinating comments, thank you, I enjoyed them.

So I think you are saying anyone who complains should be banned or threatened as your reporting a post you don't agree with implies. I think they call that censorship, maybe you should run for dictator. I am actually pleasantly surprised NGC allows the criticism, and does not remove any post that is critical.

Would you apply the same censorship and threats to say, pre WWII Germany? Would the complainers be babies crying, when other good NGC citizens quietly accept trainloads of PCGS citizens being deported? I know, that is silly.

Or is it?

Please keep posting, it is better than my cable programming.

Fascinating comments, thank you, I enjoyed them.

So I think you are saying anyone who complains should be banned or threatened as your reporting a post you don't agree with implies. I think they call that censorship, maybe you should run for dictator. I am actually pleasantly surprised NGC allows the criticism, and does not remove any post that is critical.

Would you apply the same censorship and threats to say, pre WWII Germany? Would the complainers be babies crying, when other good NGC citizens quietly accept trainloads of PCGS citizens being deported? I know, that is silly.

Or is it?

Please keep posting, it is better than my cable programming.

You should absolutely be banned. You are a troll with the sole purpose of bad mouthing NGC and their policies. And trust me, if enough members of this forum communicate to NGC that they are tired of hearing little babies cry, the pacifier will come. This is a private forum, free speech does not apply if you are causing a community disruption and it is obvious that you have no intention of being a productive member of the forum.

Are you for real?

Your comments have nothing to do with NGC, you just had a hissy fit on this forum,

perhaps you should be banned.

Not really, this is about entertainment and companionship, and (oh yeah) coins.

Take your Zoloft and get some rest.

A hissy fit would be specifically joining a forum to cry like a little baby. And how would you know what this forum is about, you have been here for a week and made absolutely no positive contributions. BTW, do you even own any coins?