• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Goodbye NGC, No more submissions, No more sets

21 posts in this topic

I am one of the collectors affected by NGC's decision to exclude PCGS graded coins from world sets.... I have always preferred PCGS graded coins in any event, but participated in NGC registry because they allowed PCGS slabbed coins to count in world sets. I cannot really speculate on why NGC made this unwise choice, I can only say that I was number 12 in total registry points, and have eliminated each and every set and each and every coin from the NGC registry. If NGC does not want me to participate, so be it. Over one million dollars worth of coins are now no longer on the NGC registry sets....and that is my collection alone. Does that somehow improve the enjoyment for other NGC exclusive participants? This decision makes no sense. Ironically, I had a large group of coins about to be sent in for NGC grading, these coins will now be sent to PCGS.

Goodbye NGC and Good Luck.

You know, it is not only what NGC did regarding exclusivity, it is the way they did it, without consult or feedback. Who needs it? It is not that I am bitter about it, it is just a waste of my time.

The result is my coins will remain in bank vaults, and will be re-discovered 30 years from now by my heirs. Is that the result NGC hoped for?

Thanks Law, stay on the boards and enjoy the good things. See the thread in Numismatic General that registers the rule change complaint - Arch has some advice on how to build a world set in the registry that includes PCGS coins.

Best, HT

It will be interesting to see if NGC removes my critical comments, as suggested by another poster on a different thread..... Most posters are hostile and apparently feel threatened by my criticism, and other people who are against the pcgs slabbed world coin exclusion. In any event, I have had my say, expressed my disappointment and will enjoy all the posts calling for censorship of criticism.

HT, your advice is good, enjoy the good things and avoid the bad. Good luck to you.

It will be interesting to see if NGC removes my critical comments, as suggested by another poster on a different thread..... Most posters are hostile and apparently feel threatened by my criticism, and other people who are against the pcgs slabbed world coin exclusion. In any event, I have had my say, expressed my disappointment and will enjoy all the posts calling for censorship of criticism.

HT, your advice is good, enjoy the good things and avoid the bad. Good luck to you.

I guess you are just having trouble avoiding the bad.

Lawjudge, sorry to see you go. Seeing all of the nice collections here such as yours are one of the niceties and pleasures of belonging to this group. I get to see coins that I will never have the pleasure of owning. Many other people including several members of the collector group who have not spoken up here are not too happy with the way that all of this came to pass.

Don't let the self appointed spokesmen, or those who think they are the majority opinion of anything here, ruin your day. Every forum has its little clique that try to run public opinion for their domain. They do not really represent the way all of us feel. Many of us are disappointed that it came to this.

This entire topic being discussed in this post is another small point in the many reasons that the coin collecting hobby has never expanded to fill the public appeal niche that it rightly should have. This all centers around pettiness and lots to go around!

Which happened: (in NGC registry)

- They deleted his coins from an "internet set" ?

or

- His "account points" were deleted ?

+ Most important how much money did he lost ?

If I had million dollars I would go no were near registries... You get taxes, robbers and bad publicity... Really read more Scrooge McDuck

+ I have been said that NGC doesn't own this forum and cannot "CENSOR" ANYTHING therefore.

Because PCGS did it from the beginning. NGC allowed both. So collectors bought the coins and not the holders and now they have a bundle of money sunk into the PCGS coins when NGC changes the rules on them.

Because PCGS did it from the beginning. NGC allowed both. So collectors bought the coins and not the holders and now they have a bundle of money sunk into the PCGS coins when NGC changes the rules on them.

I have to agree with Conder...while I don't have a dog in this fight...if I built a set based on using coins from both services and then I found out that half my set points were going by by due to a policy change I would not be happy. I understand NGC has it's reason and whether I or anyone else agree with them they can do what they like. Just sayin I would be up and arms myself if I had sets in the world section that were affected hm

Kryponitecomics,

I agree as well. Almost all of my coins are raw like many older collectors (I like to look at them and feel them in my hand), but I certainly understand why a lot of collectors must have felt misled. And why just the world coin registry and not the US coin registry?

I first was attracted to this site thru a link at NGC when I tried their online Coin Manager program. Little did I know that with NGC's program you can upload pictures of your raw coins into the database but you cannot share them with others here unless they had been graded ... very similiar issue. Maybe this is another tool for NGC to estimate survial rates? (If not, it should be.) I understand why raw coins could not be given points for competive sets but not being able to be displayed? Come on! Well, that was my first suprise and I am pretty sure it will not be my last.

This forum still seems to be the best organized and most informative on the net that I have found. As such, I plan on hanging around. meh

Kryponitecomics,

I agree as well. Almost all of my coins are raw like many older collectors (I like to look at them and feel them in my hand), but I certainly understand why a lot of collectors must have felt misled. And why just the world coin registry and not the US coin registry?

I don't know but can think of at least a couple good possibilities. They might think their grading is more consistent or want to grow this segment going forward. World coins can be a very much larger market in the future and they feel positioning themselves earlier rather than later is preferable. This might not be at all positive for those already in the registry at this time.

I certainly sympathize but it could be beneficial in the long run at least in terms of resale value.

If you want to bring out misleading issues, just look at all politicians today and see how they mislead us. Then realize that their misleading us has more of an effect on our daily lives than this silliness about a coin registry, puhlease............... doh!

I'm quite disappointed with this move as well, and have pulled all my coins and sets. I was ranked in the 150's somewhere with 260,000 odd points before this started, and had a few sets ranked at #1 on the charts - some 50 sets in total.

Around 40,000 points from PCGS coins I've bought from auctions over the years.

I'll continue to use the resources, but I certainly won't be showcasing my coins or using the registry as an online cataloguing resource any more. I'll just create an access database or something. Quite disappointed with this move.

IMO it was a straight business decision to promote NGC grading over competing services. NGC is obviously expanding and pushing their world coin grading services. I truly don't understand why some people really got their panties in a wad over it. Seems to me some people's egos are getting in front of their common sense.

Well, geesh, what real collector wouldn't buy the coins and not the holders? If being in a competitive set is that important to someone then I suppose they should reverse the process or bite the bullet and switch the holders. I buy PCGS world coins from time to time, but they often are not up to NGC standards IMO and I pay accordingly. I am not pimping for NGC, I am just calling them as I see them. Finally, and this is a very small point. Almost all coins look better in the white NGC holders than in the clear, light green PCGS holders.