• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ICG crossover experiences

19 posts in this topic

Wondering what experiences that board members have had regarding crossing over ICG graded coins. Also cracking out of holder vs. keeping in holder -- advice.

Thanks in advance.

Wondering what experiences that board members have had regarding crossing over ICG graded coins. Also cracking out of holder vs. keeping in holder -- advice.

Thanks in advance.

I recently found out that NGC only accepts PCGS coins for cross-over.

I currently have a ICG MS64 SLH at PCGS with a 63 min. I tried a straight cross oat PCGS on a ICG MS65 Peace S$1 last year and it DNC.

Crossing over in the holder is a bad idea - I did this once and got a 1 point lower MS grade. If believe your ICG holdered coins are gradeable by the other two, crack them out and send them in and take what you get. More often that not, if I have selected an ANACS or ICG coin when seeing in hand, it will get a grade from the other two when cracked that is equal or the next one up. But I won't buy these unless I see them in hand and am able to assess them first in this way, and I have bought very few of these to crack and send over out of the 100s to 1000s I have seen in hand.

I have had good sucess crossing circulated coins from ICG to PCGS and NGC in the past but these were the older graded ICG coins with the barcode on the obverse.

Crack it out... Like I have said before. My Avatar was in a ICG MS67 holder before being cracked out and graded MS67. Also I wont say names but I member here cracked out a MS68FB 1939D dime and it is now in a MS68FB 1939D PCGS holder....... I agree with the guy above. You have to check the coin over.

Crack it out... Like I have said before. My Avatar was in a ICG MS67 holder before being cracked out and graded MS67. Also I wont say names but I member here cracked out a MS68FB 1939D dime and it is now in a MS68FB 1939D PCGS holder....... I agree with the guy above. You have to check the coin over.

Are you referring to Jom? He posted a similar story a few weeks back.

I've had a few ICG coins that I felt graded properly. I'd rather sell a coin and get better money than send it for regrading and watch it's value cut in half.

Are you referring to Jom? He posted a similar story a few weeks back.

It could have happened to someone else but it did happen to me. Got lucky with that one...sold it for a nice profit too. I looked at it once I received it (Greattoning on eBay auction) and figured it was a 67 worst case so I gave it a shot...at 67 I would have broken even I think.

jom

I'm pretty sure this is my photo (not GT's) in the ICG slab. I don't think I took a photo of it in the PCGS holder.

10c-39d.jpg

I bought it from Greattoning 9/2007 for $160 on one of his eBay auctions and sold it in 6/2010 for $1000 to XXXX at a show...probably Long Beach given the date.

One of the reasons I re-slabbed the coin is that I joined PCGS and had a submission. Besides the ICG slab sucked....scratches and all. I think their slabs scratch easier than PCGS's which is hard to believe.

jom

No...I cracked the coin. I haven't sent a coin in for "regrade" in years.

In fact, I joined up at PCGS yesterday and the only certified coin in the lot was a 23-P Buffalo. I'm cheap so I let them take it as "raw" since I didn't want to pay for the regrade thingy. It could come back in a lower grade since there is no regrade "protection". I'm pretty sure it will actually upgrade though...we'll see.

jom