• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

From Silver Bullion to Silver Dollar - 1897

16 posts in this topic

This photo, taken in 1897, shows silver as it appeared in the various stages of production from bullion to coin.

bulliontocoin-1897-B-v-sm.jpg

Top to bottom: bullion bar as purchased from a mine, shoe mold bar (the shape made it easier to divide and melt for refining), 0.900 fine silver ingot (the tapered end allowed the rolling mill to get a better grip on the ingot), silver strip rolled from the ingot, the strip after punching of blanks, a row of blanks, a row of upset and whitened (cleaned) planchets, and finally a row of 1897-O silver dollars

Excellent film! The next to the last segment does not show the annual Trial of the Pyx - it shows cupellation as part of the internal assay process.

mtnstyne -- The bar would have been about 500 or 1,000 oz. It looks too short in height to be 1,000 oz so I suspect it was a 500 oz bar. The ingot was about 12 to 14-inches long.

From what I can see in the original, the 1897-O dollars are nearly perfect --- not a mark or blemish.

...Before it was struck, yep. And then fingered and counted and schelpped around after coining... :)

...Before it was struck, yep. And then fingered and counted and schelpped around after coining... :)

Don't forget to mention the poker game during lunch.

Chris