• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cleaning coins

8 posts in this topic

what do you folks think about cleaning coins, so i have a nice shiny set or should i leave them the way i got them. im just a beginner collector and have no plans for selling them. please give me your opinion

Before I answer your question, let me welcome you to the boards...

Ok, now to business!

Improper cleaning generally devalues your specimens. With very few and narrowly confined exceptions, dealers of antiques generally prefer specimens with original patina to one that has been stripped. Coins are no exception to this.

If your coins are really ``cruddy,'' then there are possibly ways to conserve them without damaging them. But, this is only under limited circumstances and usually done by an experienced curator.

Most folks would need far more information before they can tell you if it's possible to conserve your coins in a way that you'd like.

Regards,

EVP

good choice, and welcome to the boards bazuki! When I was a new collector like yourself, I had the same ideas, wouldn't it be great if all my coins were shiny like new? Sorta like a nice antique car that's been washed and waxed. Well, at the time I learned that cleaning destroys any value that the coins have, but over time my view has broadened. One of the biggest reasons I collect coins is that I love the history of them, not only the history represented in the designs, but the history of what these coins experienced before landing safely in one of my albums. Well now I avoid cleaning not so much because of the reduced value, but more because I can't stand the thought of erasing so much history involved in my coins! I own so many that have been worn or tarnished, or any number of things, but I view that as a valuable part of the story they tell. It often promts me to ponder where these coins might have been, and what they may have experienced, and without such character, I doubt I would even ponder such things, and my collecting enjoyment would be lessened without such thoughts.

Sorry to ramble, hope you find at least one nugget of wisdom in there! tongue.gif

BLASPHEMY !!!! You may not want to sell them now, but some day you might....and then some other unsuspecting newbie like I was will buy your cleaned coins without knowing better. shocked.gif

Keep them original....later on as you get more time and money, you can upgrade tose pieces if you wish, and will be able to sell the dupes much easier and honestly.

Welcome aboard. It's always fun when you first get started. What you'll see, though, as you learn and acquire coins is that originality is always worth a premium. And you'll unfortunately learn that MANY people have tinkered with coins past and present -- which is why originality is always best!

i thank you all for the info. i will no longer polish my coins thanks to you folks. i just love the morgan and peace dollars so much i want them to shine, but now i know better thanks again. i also really like the walking liberty and franklin half dollars and the JFK halfs . i also want to say this is a great site and thank you so much for the information.

If you really want to have your coins shiny and maybe look a little newer you can submit them to NCS and they will conserve them profesionally and you dont have to worry about ruining them. Also if you do, make sure you get the gaunantee that they offer. You can find the phone# in the main index under question for NCS, hope this helps.