• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Here's one to chew on

17 posts in this topic

Cleaned UNC details

Looks like cleaning lines going verticle above the Eagles head.

Maybe polish marks but pictures are tough to see that kind of

stuff

Maybe it's my laptop monitor screen, but I don't see what you are referring to in the images. ???

Cleaned UNC details

Looks like cleaning lines going verticle above the Eagles head.

Maybe polish marks but pictures are tough to see that kind of

stuff

Maybe it's my laptop monitor screen, but I don't see what you are referring to in the images. ???

May be die polish lines as I cannot see if they travel through the head and wings

120990.jpg.ee5038a49771089cb66d603ed55c387b.jpg

O.P. here, interesting story behind this coin. I attended the ANA show here in the Chicago area last August where NGC had Mark Salzburg offering grading opinions to attendees, 3 coins at a time. I got into line as soon as his scheduled time commenced (there were about 10 others already in line). After about a 20 minute wait I was next. At his table however was some old crabby guy giving him grief because his commems came back graded less than anticipated. I watched intently as Salzburg attempted to explain to the guy why the technical grades were as listed. By the time I got seated it was clear that Salzburg had every opportunity to be harsh.

Rather, he was matter of fact and satisfied my desire to "learn" as we discussed my 3 coins. This was the first. After about 3 seconds of inspection he determined that the scratch on the cheek immediately reduced the coin to MS 64. Point taken....

After then reviewing the coin for another minute or so he announced that it was an MS 64. Fair enough. I thanked him after showing him some toned coins I had from a mint set.

After a little debating I decided to send in this coin to get the MS 64 designation. When it reached my mailbox I was surprised to find the following.........

001.jpg

I think the moral to the story is that a nice coin for the year and mint can get a nice pop when everything else is considered. Pay particular attention to the nature, size and depth of a scratch on a Morgan cheek. Generally, if it were an actual injury that would draw blood, it will be penalized. If (as in this case) it's just a luster abrasion the penalty isn't so harsh providing everything else adds up.

O.P. here, interesting story behind this coin. I attended the ANA show here in the Chicago area last August where NGC had Mark Salzburg offering grading opinions to attendees, 3 coins at a time. I got into line as soon as his scheduled time commenced (there were about 10 others already in line). After about a 20 minute wait I was next. At his table however was some old crabby guy giving him grief because his commems came back graded less than anticipated. I watched intently as Salzburg attempted to explain to the guy why the technical grades were as listed. By the time I got seated it was clear that Salzburg had every opportunity to be harsh.

Rather, he was matter of fact and satisfied my desire to "learn" as we discussed my 3 coins. This was the first. After about 3 seconds of inspection he determined that the scratch on the cheek immediately reduced the coin to MS 64. Point taken....

After then reviewing the coin for another minute or so he announced that it was an MS 64. Fair enough. I thanked him after showing him some toned coins I had from a mint set.

After a little debating I decided to send in this coin to get the MS 64 designation. When it reached my mailbox I was surprised to find the following.........

001.jpg

I think the moral to the story is that a nice coin for the year and mint can get a nice pop when everything else is considered. Pay particular attention to the nature, size and depth of a scratch on a Morgan cheek. Generally, if it were an actual injury that would draw blood, it will be penalized. If (as in this case) it's just a luster abrasion the penalty isn't so harsh providing everything else adds up.

Another proof of pictures being deceptive - the lines must be die polish lines.

I still not agree with the grade but in hand may be another story.

Great pickup ...

Nice looking coin. She's got a couple of nicks on her face, but they're hardly distracting. The luster grazes are her issue. If she's not a MS65, she's a solid MS64, that's my guess. Nice tone on her, too. (thumbs u

EDIT: Didn't even see the grade was posted, how embarrassing! One of these days I'm going to get one of these right like this before the grade is posted! lol