• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OK, this was weird...1920-S Buffalo

17 posts in this topic

There must be something I'm missing here. I viewed this coin and it looked pretty nice....very good luster like the description says. YET...it goes for well below bid, which I think is $3300.

Sometimes I just don't get the coin market....

1920-S Buffalo

Anyone else view this? Maybe it had some serious problem I didn't catch. OR maybe it was not really an MS64. But still...it's in a PCGS holder. Baffling.... hm

jom

There must be something I'm missing here. I viewed this coin and it looked pretty nice....very good luster like the description says. YET...it goes for well below bid, which I think is $3300.

1920-S Buffalo

Anyone else view this? Maybe it had some serious problem I didn't catch. OR maybe it was not really an MS64. But still...it's in a PCGS holder. Baffling.... hm

jom

The spotting and the weak strike didn't help its cause any. If I am going to drop a couple (or few) grand on a coin, I want a nice one.

In this case it seems pretty simple. The coin is ugly.

I can deal with the lousy reverse strike - it's on par with that era of San Francisco nickels. But the coin has been poorly dipped and molested, and just doesn't have any eye-appeal whatsoever.

It's yet another case of a coin that needs to be conserved, then put in an ALBUM, not a SLAB.

(But, that would mean someone would have to care more about the coin itself, rather than it's "value".)

Edited to add: The auction description is laughable, too.

Mushy strike probably killed it. The price range at Heritage in 2011 for a 1920-S in MS64 is $2530 to $3737. The high end coin was very well struck, and even the low-end coin was more attractive than the one above.

I wouldn't have bid on this MS64 at all... Would have held out for a better struck AU58 and saved 2K.

That's my Boy !!! Mr AU 64 !!! (thumbs u

I wouldn't have bid on this MS64 at all... Would have held out for a better struck AU58 and saved 2K.

That's my Boy !!! Mr AU 64 !!! (thumbs u

Yeah deltadimeman ATS had a lustrous fully struck PCGS AU58 on EBay a few years ago I missed while checking prices... It's a 20-S that still haunts me.

I was hoping Mark could have chimed in as he was at the lot viewing at the same time as me so I'm guessing he saw this.

I'll sum up what I've read here:

1) Should have been AU: It wasn't actually AU but you could very well find a nicer example and save dough. However, sometimes that is difficult as many of those in up in MS holders anyway. Shocking...but OK, IMO. Actually...it's not really shocking. heh

2) Coin is ugly: This coin was NOT ugly...not even close. I saw it in hand and had great luster and the color was nice. The picture BLOWS however. Stack's isn't great with their photos...neither is Heritage for that matter.

3) Price range lower at Hertitage. Good point there...MS63 ask is $1500 or so. Therefore there is some range below MS64 bid.

4) Strike: This combined with 3) could mean it when for TOO MUCH money. The luster in that case helped.

So given the above I guess this wasn't too surprising. Given the number of people who may not have seen it in hand combined with the lousy photo AND some room between grades...you get the price.

Great...thanks for the responses.

jom

Come on now...This is a 20-S not known for it's great strikes. Most 64's in this date leave a lot to be desired.I have a 20 s Buff that looks like a 65 on the obverse and x-f on the reverse.....Just my thoughts.....Joe

Well, i finally figured out how to register over here--my regular e-mail wouldn't work but i finally picked up an acceptable e-mail. Anyway, i think Joe has this right. The 20-S is brutally tough for reverse strike. Jom is also correct that SB's photos are pretty awful for Buffalos.

There have been some fairly soft prices for Buffalos in auction recently. This looks like another example.

Well, i finally figured out how to register over here--my regular e-mail wouldn't work but i finally picked up an acceptable e-mail. Anyway, i think Joe has this right. The 20-S is brutally tough for reverse strike. Jom is also correct that SB's photos are pretty awful for Buffalos.

There have been some fairly soft prices for Buffalos in auction recently. This looks like another example.

Welcome...is this your name ATS as well or is this someone I actually know? hm

Buffalos sinking in price eh? Figures. I'm trying to sell a few off. Why is it when I'm collecting a series it's always going sky high but when I sell it's the opposite? :pullhair: I can remember Buffalos exploding about 15/16 years ago. Now they are hard to sell. Amazing.

jom

Welcome to our friendly little neighborhood!

Thanks for the welcomes, folks. I do post ATS but have lurked here and often see Buffalo threads i would like to join in on, as well as other topics. Finally got around to officially joining.

And to be clear, I think a PQ, truly nice Buffalo will still bring a good price. But overall, the recent auctions seem a bit soft although sometimes that is not so much a trend but a function of the coins that come up for sale. Other than the Teton Ranch coins in the FUN sale, there have not been many large collections of Buffalos that have come up for sale recently.

Welcome !!! It's great to have ya!!