• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How do I get my 1893S Morgan certified??

8 posts in this topic

I would like to get an 1893S Morgan Silver Dollar certified. It is in great condition and I do not trust mailing the coin to anyone as I do not trust anyone. Are there any ways to personally bring this coin to someone in the New York City area to get it certified in front of me (so that there is no question of the coin being switched with one of lesser quality)?

Please resond to me @ zerkski123@aol.com

Thank you for your assistance,

Jeff Czerkies

I would like to get an 1893S Morgan Silver Dollar certified. It is in great condition and I do not trust mailing the coin to anyone as I do not trust anyone. Are there any ways to personally bring this coin to someone in the New York City area to get it certified in front of me (so that there is no question of the coin being switched with one of lesser quality)?

Please resond to me @ zerkski123@aol.com

Thank you for your assistance,

Jeff Czerkies

Howdy and welcome. It's too bad you are that distrusting. I would assume that both PCGS and NGC would not allow someone in the grading room while their coin was being graded because of liability concerns. Therefore, unless you buy a coin that is already certified, it looks as though you will have to keep your piece raw. By the way, do you keep your coin in a bank safe deposit box? If so, how can you be certain that the bank will not switch your coin? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Also, Jeff, there is no one in the NYC area who does "independent" third-party certification and grading. Well, at least not one who is widely regarded by the mainstream numismatic community.

The big 3 of the mainstream independent third-party services are PCGS, NGC and ANACS, and they are located in CA, FL and OH, respectively.

Regards,

EVP

Next time there is a major coin show in NY, bring your coin there and submit it in person to NGC using their same-day show service. It will run about $100.

You will not be there while it is graded. You will give it to them and they will return it graded later that day. I doubt the people who submit million dollar coins would be allowed to be in the room while the coin is graded.

You can trust NGC not to switch your coin. Why would a grading service risk their reputation (and MULTI-million dollar revenue) by switching a coin worth a fraction of their profit?

Greg,

Unfortunately, I know of no coin show in the New York area that NGC attends. confused-smiley-013.gif

If anyone knows of a show in the area that they do attend, please let me know.

John

Surely ANA must be in NY from time to time?

Yeah, but most don't prefer that venue due to high cost (travel, room, table rental, etc.) and perceived likelihood of crime.

EVP

Unfortunately, I know of no coin show in the New York area that NGC attends. confused-smiley-013.gif

That's surprising. I'd have assumed NY would have several big shows there. A giant city with lots of rich people and no major shows. foreheadslap.gif