• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

one heck of an upgrade!

31 posts in this topic

The reverse looks very dark in the Heritage images, and what's with the white spot at the bottom of the reverse? $37,000 is absolute moon-money. :screwy:

Too lightly struck to be anything higher than MS 65.

Its actually well struck for an S mint coin.

But that price is absolutely beyond ridiculous. The 66* grade garnered strong money, and I would argue the coin is probably a solid 66 that got bumped to 67 by PCGS for eye appeal, since they don't have a Star.

This one should be arriving today in the mail. Can't wait to see it in person.

I was looking around to compare strikes for the year and mint mark, and that's how I found the "moon-money" coin. I'd love to know what you guys think about the newp.

Picture1-2.png

Picture2-4.png

I never would have expected this personally, and kudos to whoever realized this coin's potential (when it was in a 66* holder). I personally thought $1,610 was strong money for this coin; I didn't realize that the 1945-S was such a condition rarity in MS67 (according to the price guides, for whatever they're worth).

To me, the "grade" is the total coin - including the depth of detail. It does not matter if most of the coins from a certain mint lack hand detail: those pieces simply never make it beyond MS-65. The pictured example is among them.

To me, the "grade" is the total coin - including the depth of detail. It does not matter if most of the coins from a certain mint lack hand detail: those pieces simply never make it beyond MS-65. The pictured example is among them.

That is an absolutely valid point. If a certain mint NEVER made any fully struck coins, that does not mean that the best examples from that mint get bumped up to a extremely high grade when their coin still falls short of "fully struck" status. I could see where this coin could get an MS-66 with no star. To me MS-67 is an over grade.

BUT

PCGS highest graded + a "green football" + "registry feaver" = auction bidding mania

Some people sip Kool Aid; others gulp it, especially when it has a "green label."

Perhaps true but that train left the station long ago. No way to put that genie back in the bottle. It is what it is. MJ

That is an absolutely valid point. If a certain mint NEVER made any fully struck coins, that does not mean that the best examples from that mint get bumped up to a extremely high grade when their coin still falls short of "fully struck" status.

That's right but all I've heard for YEARS is that the TPGs do this very thing....all of the time.

It just gets more and more that you had better know how to grade because someone else (TPGs) ain't gonna do it for you.

jom

Check out this 1945 S "Striding" Liberty Half

August 2010

NGC MS66* sold for $1,610

Stacks/Bowers

February 2011

PCGS MS67 sold for $37,375 ....dang!

Heritage

Also, this is NOT my coin. (wishing I had bid in August though)

Every day, people pay a rather surprising sum for opinions.

But (blah blah) that does not mean the opinion is shared by all, or that it is worth the money paid.

Respectfully,

John Curlis

I saw it in it's new clothing. It was the best of breed of what I have seen for this date/mm. I love my 67* 1945-S but I do like the subject coin slightly better. The irony is that NGC felt differently. Truth be told I would rather have my coin and the 35k in my pocket then the subject coin.

MJ

is this coin were broken out of its holder and sold raw

between advanced expert walker collectors what would it sell for fair retail??

If Raw, you'd be lucky to get 64 price for it; I hate to say it. I don't think a dealer would pay any higher than that for it.

For a sale between collectors......65 raw.

I love the coin, I bet it's fantastic in hand.

But is it worth a second mortgage, liquidation of all my Liberty Nickels and selling my left kidney on the organ market...????? :cry:

Almost!

I am getting very excited about my new collecting adventure into WLH.

OP

If Raw, you'd be lucky to get 64 price for it; I hate to say it. I don't think a dealer would pay any higher than that for it.

It is a common misconception that a collector will necessarily pay more for an uncertified (or certified) coin than a dealer will. I have seen many for-sale listings which ended up selling to dealers, because collectors wouldn't pay as much.

It is a common misconception that a collector will necessarily pay more for an uncertified (or certified) coin than a dealer will. I have seen many for-sale listings which ended up selling to dealers, because collectors wouldn't pay as much.

I had two different dealers (who I have done alot of business with and have known for a number of years) tell me, flat out, that MS 63 was their price ceiling for raw coins. If I wanted more, I would have to get it slabbed first.

I guess that I've been dealing with the wrong guys.

I had two different dealers (who I have done alot of business with and have known for a number of years) tell me, flat out, that MS 63 was their price ceiling for raw coins. If I wanted more, I would have to get it slabbed first.

I guess that I've been dealing with the wrong guys.

I'm confident that there are collectors like that, too. But I know plenty of dealers who don't limit themselves in that (short sighted) way.

The smart collector knows that you are better off buying the coin in the holder you want than thinking you can GET IT IN the holder you want. That especially applys to something like this coin, which really has strike issues for the grade it got. It took some courage IMO to knock that coin out of the NGC MS-66* holder and send it to PCGS raw if that's what they did. I know I would have not done it because I'm not that good at predicting what grade a modern coin like this might get. Older stuff, yes, but not something like this.

When you are dealer and you are submitting at lot of stuff for grading, the law of averages is on your side, if you know how to grade. Sometimes you win; sometimes you lose, but on average you win. At least that's what I found when I was dealer sending stuff in.

Trouble is a collector often has his eggs on one or two basketgs, and if he gets hurt and loses, it's hard to make it up on just one other coin. That's why I say you need to send in a lot material to make out in the grading submission game.