• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Need opinions on ugly toned peace and morgan dollars.

17 posts in this topic

Soooooo I get a call from my mom and she asks me to come look at some coins my grandmother left her when she passed away over ten years ago. So I head on down and the story goes they were found in a small safe inside small mailing envelopes. 6 coins total, 4 peace, 2 morgans. All seem to have been cleaned I think and the toning just doesnt seem right but I could use some opinions. I think maybe they have been cleaned which led to the strange toning? Thanks in advance.

Nick

IMG_5740.jpg

IMG_5731.jpg

IMG_5727.jpg

IMG_5723.jpg

IMG_5711.jpg

IMG_5716.jpg

Do you have pictures of the Obverse of the Morgans? Im no expert on artifical toning, and natural toning but the toning of the 1928 (or 1923, i can't make out the last digit) peace dollar looks very unpleasant to me and it appears distracting. The other coins Are okay, but the toning is distracting to the true conditions and grades of these coins. What I would do if these were my coins,and I wanted to get them graded, I would first see if NCS would be able to remove the toning if possible, prior to NGC grading.

And I would do that if that one peace dollar is a 1928, and if the other peace dollar is a 1924S.

Thats my opinion, I hope it helps you out.

-Dave

If the story is true I hardly think the coins were AT'd at any point given the fact of where they came from.

Whether or not they are attractive is a matter of opinion...I don't care for them but to each their own.

On the cleaning: Use a halogen lamp and look for hairlines....

jom

If the story is true I hardly think the coins were AT'd at any point given the fact of where they came from.

Whether or not they are attractive is a matter of opinion...I don't care for them but to each their own.

On the cleaning: Use a halogen lamp and look for hairlines....

jom

Jom, Like i mentioned I'm a novice when it comes to the different types of toning. I looked up types of coin toning, and I agree with what you said. When you say "use a halogen lamp and look for hairlines" what will that determine?

I'm just asking to improve my coin knowledge.

I don't know how they were stored, but they definitely look cleaned and retoned. That toning is unusual, and would not be considered market acceptable.

I agree.

The 1928 could probably be helped by NCS if not harshly cleaned.

I am going to have to disagree with a lot of what has been posted so far....

For peace dollars I think the toning is attractive and market acceptable and if submitted I don't see any reason what they would body bag. It looks like envelope toning to me on the 1922 & 1924 and the 1928 looks a lot like album toning. I would not clean, dip conserve any of these coins and I would be a buyer of all three if we could agree on a price based on grade guestimates etc. The morgans I would need to see both sides of the coins to get a better feel but I still don't believe the toning is from a cleaning based on what I see in your pictures but I also don't know if the color would be considered market acceptable so please post the other sides if you get a chance.

I wish that 23 was a 28 but I'm never that lucky, neither was grandma.

I will take pictures of the flip sides tonight if I get a chance. Any tips on how to photo the coins to best show any possible cleaning? I think even if the toning is ok they wont grade because of cleaning but detecting cleaning is a weak spot for me and I always err on the side of caution.

Shane keep an eye out for a PM, I might just send these to you for your opinion and better pics.

Thanks, Nick

Well Shane has a much better eye for these than I do. I'll throw in my opinion tho' if ok. I'll just list these as I see them.

Peace Rev- NT

Peace (23) Obv- NT

Peace (22) Obv - NT

Morgan Rev - ??

Peace (24) Obv - ??

Morgan Rev. - ??

I've learned that toning that looks ugly to me is called "a toned monster" by some others. (shrug)

I don't care for the toning on the Morgan dollars at all, but the Peace dollars could have possibilities if they or you were struck by lighting and amy of the ended up on a PCGS or NGC holder. I don't think the chances are great, but if it happened there would someone out there who would pay a lot of money because certified, attractively tone Peace dollars (? :screwy:) are almost impossible to find.

If those peace dollars were morgans then I would say you wouldn't be loking at much in the way of toning premiums but becuase they are Peace dollars and we see a very small portion toned...if they are UNC they will command a premium and yes I still consder them attractive by Peace dollar standards and let's just say I have a proven track record based on sales that says I know what the market likes and doesn't. I don't have to like it personally...I just have to know what I can sell it for lol

I concur with Krypto...

NT to me and attractive for a toned Peace $...

Since they are your grandmothers...have them graded with your grandmothers name on the label and keep them to pass down to your kids...

Toner I love that idea, I just don't want to waste grading fees on a details holder. Thanks for all the input so far.

Nick

Who cares if NGC puts them in a detail holder... the coins will be protected and you can show them off to kids without worry and your grandmothers name is on the slab...

Win, win, win... unless you want to sell them and if you do let me know...