• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PCGS Coin Removal : Constructive Feedback

38 posts in this topic

I think too that delete the whole registry...:

[*] It works only for people living in USA

[*] Holders get more expensive (Where do you think NGC get's money to maintain a webforum ?)

[*] It provokes bad kind of competition and "evility" in collecting.

[*] People get jealous and bad things happen then.

[*] People hate to see someone else having more coins than himself. (They really do !!!)

[*] Registry is a egoistic place.

[*] It doesn't help people getting more coins just more costs...

:censored: I'm buying only PCGS holders.

+ I have never used registry but knowing that NGC plays with peoples lives like this is immoral +

That can happen to any coin, in any holder. This also happens if someone dipped or treated the coin prior to sending it in......

I had a pcgs experience, I purchased a zinc us penny in a 67 holder, a year later it corroded on the reverse.....I purchased it for $60 originally, I sent it in to pcgs for review, they sent me the coin back out of the holder, along with a check for $160.00, a $100 profit. PCGS is a superior company and I am happy with them. I have not had a similar experience with NGC, so I cannot comment if they would have treated me as well as PCGS treated me.

PCGS gave me zero communication so I see no reason to further use them.

I sold the coin on ebay and moved on!!

+1

PCGS Coin Removal : Constructive Feedback... Not one bit of constructive feedback. This is just one of dozens of anger packed threads. I understand the anger that this purge has caused, I do. But what I dont understand is why everybody must start a seperate threads about this topic! Here is what I have seen over the last few days:

1. People are calling the registry a "joke", but yet they complain that their coins were yanked out of the registry.. so now its a joke?

2. People call the registry awards a "joke", because they are no longer #1.

3. People are saying that they are leaving NGC and going to PCGS, wont that just put you in the same situation as here? They dont allow NGC coins! If you entire set is PCGS, you are good.. but why are you here???

4. Starting a thread saying "Screw NGC, Im leaving" isnt going to solve anything. Starting a thread to reply to a "Screw NGC, Im leaving" is even dumber. Folks are starting to sound like the OCCUPY movement. Whats next, OCCUPY NGC???

5. People started to complain about this whole situation but in the same breath state that we collect coins, not the slabs.. NGC stated that PCGS coins are still good in Custom Sets.

Hey, bottom line.. it was a decision from the guy who runs this business, deal with it. If you dont like it, the door is over there (really pains me to say that because there are TONS of great folks here). Its a business decision that we will NEVER understand or know because we are not (major) SHARE HOLDERS. If you choose to leave, that is your choice. If the grass is greener on the other side of the fence, send a post card. I dont like to see anybody leave, but hey.. you are the master of your own destiny... right?

This is a great hobby.. great site.. filled with GREAT people. This set back is just another brick in the wall, is it not? You all have great collections that keep guys like me learning. Why let this be the breaking point? Why pack up the camp and bug out? Is this the solution to the problem at hand?

^^ ^^ ^^

Enough said!

+1

Hi Guys -

Sorry I know this is a semi old thread, but I've only just noticed the impact of this on my collection so I wanted to put my 2c in.

Frankly I think this move was in pretty poor form, and was done with little or no consultation or forewarning which made the matter worse.

In my opinion, the fact you could list both PCGS and NGC coins in the NGC registry made it a major selling point for NGC, as it was an attraction the opposition did not have.

For two major grading companies to say they won't allow each others coins on the basis of the quality of their grading, in my opinion, is based on commercial/marketing/competition rather than the spirit of collecting or an appropriate level of respect for fellow graders.

We all know both camps have good graders, and their opinions should be acknowledged irrespective of which camp you fall into. Why else do NGC offer a cross grade service if they do not value the opinion of the grade?

Personally I think this is very bad for the collectors out there, as we are being manipulated into taking sides.

So for me, I've deleted all my registry sets and will be saying goodbye to almost 260,000 points. I still have my coins, which is what collecting is all about, and I'll continue to use the resources provided - I simply won't be showcasing my coins (what's the point if I can only show a portion of them).

All this will do is split the collecting community in two, and will only act as a metho d to suppress the promotion of coin collecting and communication between us in the hobby.

Very poor move, but as others have posted - both NGC and PCGS are in their rights to do whatever they want. Ultimately people will vote with their feet/wallets and interest will wane overall - rather than being promoted, which in my view is much more in NGC's interest than what they've done with this latest change.

Cheers all.

You can still display all of your PCGS coins with the NGC coins as a Custom Set. Just not a competitive set. As long as you did not "delete" the coin from your collection manager, you will not have to re-enter all the information or photos.

Yeah but the point of the registry (in part) was showcasing and friendly competition.

The spirit of online competition has been wrecked by this move, so I'll just continue to collect without creating sets or showcasing all my coins online, NGC or otherwise. They'll simply go off the grid.

Out of interest, since I've removed all my sets and coins, my account is still showing up with the 260,000 points I 'had'? Is this a bug, or is there a refresh period that needs to occur to purge out all the old coins/points? My ranking went down from 173 (or whatever it was) to ----, but the points are still showing up...

Thanks chaps.

I always wonder why people make the "field of honor" (or battlefield choices) that they do to make a stand on a particular issue? My UK, Predecimal set is a curiosity and learning device as much as a collectable set, given that most collectors, especially outside the US, have the coins encapsulated at all. Pops in most pre-George V issues are low and even completing most sets is tough.

It was however a means to learn this particular series of coins with minimal grading risk and that has not changed except maybe whatever effects this will have on liquidity if I do just give up and pass on to better supported venues? I guess that a lot of small collectors or just-getting-started collectors were stopped in their tracks by this decision. I was and that means fewer encapsulations basically and more "off the grid".

There have always been perceptable differences between PCGS and NGC in coin grading and encapsulating policy ever since 1987, when the preponents first clashed in the marketplace. I do not see any efforts or cooperation between these two parties to minimise these effects except through collector buying preferences promotion. Why has this quiet little corner of the coin collecting world beeen chosen and will it drive resolution of the bigger picture? I wonder?......