• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

i have a solution

7 posts in this topic

I don't believe there is a good solution. I have been here four years and every year there seems to be some kind of a change. I have made very many friends and I guess a couple non-friends. The fact is that alot of my friends have large world sets with many PCGS coins that should be grandfathered in as free or 50% recapsulation fees. This was not thier choice and so they will probably leave.

Thier help, support, and knowledge will be missed severely.

Later-----Rick

I'm staying, although I am looking at other avenues to display my sets. Regardless, I am not crossing my PCGS coins. Who knows, maybe if things turn out, this may be a blessing in disguise. Thanks NGC for shaking the nest.

Gary

I'm still deciding what to do.http://boards.collectors-society.com/images/icons/default/cool.gif

I started grading sets of coins because I wanted to get the highest grade set of modern coins. I went with NGC for most of my coins because it was an affordable avenue to determine the condition or strike on the coin. Many of my older coins are not even graded yet.

If we don't keep the novice collector in mind, will we be eliminating the potential growth in the hobby? If we charge as much for a coin to grade it would the hobby be stifeled? Will the hobby be affected if we don't have an open forum for collectors to encourage each other will it affect the size of it's future?

Many of the morgans I have graded by PCGS will not be added to my registry sets, and truthfully many of the coins I have ungraded will never get graded,

I always felt that NGC's old policy's enticed me and the hobby community to display and grow our collections. Most of my collection will now be stashed away

and the camaraderie that motivated me to grow my collection will be diminished.

How many additional people will embrace or participate in the hobby if the cost of a graded modern coin costs less than having it graded?

http://boards.collectors-society.com/images/icons/default/frown.gif

Hey Gary,

Well good for you, I hope others will do the same. I didn't realy get into many world sets, just Canada. There is 1 coin only in PCGS so it just simply will disappear from sets listed here. Not worth the agrivation let alone the expence of cross-over. A lot of sets were removed yesterday--(Augustus) for one was a few of the best in the world sets, and knowledge that is uncomparable to others.

I think this was a corporate decision overseas to keep PCGS from accelling in foreign countries market.

Later---Rick

I do not buy raw coins anymore, and if I buy a modern coin, I in effect let the dealers pay the cost of grading (they get a bulk discount anyway). I have not made many submissions in the last year and my 5 free coupon was used on my 25th anniversary SAE set. When you make a submission you have to take into account postage and insurance BOTH ways. When I buy moderns they are often cheaper than all these costs combined, so why buy raw?

Gary

They're within their rights to do this, but I can agree with many others that it would have been better to take this position from the start, like PCGS did. People feel pretty entitled at this point and it's just generating so many hard feelings that wouldn't have existed if they hadn't given the cookie and taken it away.