• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How do grades in older slabs compare to new slabs?

17 posts in this topic

I've always heard that coins in older PCGS slabs might be undergraded and command a higher grade if resubmitted today (the Old Green Holder (OGH) belief or myth).

I have accumulated several older generation(s) of NGC slabbed coins in my attempts to put together my type set(s) and wonder if the same is true with coins older NGC slabs? I recognize that those sorts of rumors self correct by owners resubmitting for a higher grade, but I can't help but wonder if it is true? I feel the coins I have in older holders are really nice for their grade.

So are coins in older NGC slabs generally reputed to be undergraded? Thanks.

There is a general perception that NGC graded coins in the old "fatty slabs" (older NGC holders were slightly thicker than the later ones) were conservatively graded. Some people also think that the NGC holders with gold, incuse logos were all conservatively graded. It is really impossible to make such generalizations for a number of reasons.

First, third party grading seems to go in cycles. There are periods when both companies were liberal with then grades, and times when they were conservative. There have been so many of these periods that it is impossible to keep up with them. Given the slabs don’t bear dates, which makes the situation almost impossible to follow.

Second, as it is today, some coins are more conservatively graded than others. This is true within an era, so even when the grading was perceived as conservative. For example there are those who think that ALL PCGS coins in the old “rattle slabs” were conservatively or under graded. That is not the case. There were over graded coin in the rattle holders. Ditto for the green label PCGS holders. IN GENERAL green label holders tended to me more conservatively graded than in some later periods BUT that was not true of all coins. Some pieces were over graded, and some would not get a grade today if you cracked the coin out of the holder.

The bottom line is you can’t use the style of the holder or the color of the slab label to tell you if a coin is correctly, over or under graded. You have to know how to grade coins. There is no way of getting around it.

In addition to what Bill said, you should also be aware that many of the coins that were, in fact, undergraded have since been resubmitted for a higher grade so very few exist.

Chris

I've always heard that coins in older PCGS slabs might be undergraded and command a higher grade if resubmitted today (the Old Green Holder (OGH) belief or myth).

I have accumulated several older generation(s) of NGC slabbed coins in my attempts to put together my type set(s) and wonder if the same is true with coins older NGC slabs? I recognize that those sorts of rumors self correct by owners resubmitting for a higher grade, but I can't help but wonder if it is true? I feel the coins I have in older holders are really nice for their grade.

It used to be generally "true more often than not". But, so many of the undergraded coins have been upgraded that at this point, I would contend that the average coin "in an older slab" is actually more likely to be OVERgraded than undergraded. Basically, all the goodies have been gotten.

Reread Bill Jones' post above with care, as it is excellent.

It used to be generally "true more often than not". But, so many of the undergraded coins have been upgraded that at this point, I would contend that the average coin "in an older slab" is actually more likely to be OVERgraded than undergraded. Basically, all the goodies have been gotten.

A fair number of the remaining coins in older slabs have PVC issues, as well.

the only coin i found in an older holder that i thought had upgrade potential i resubmitted only to get the seem grade, i still think it should be a point higher :(

Do the older holders have PVC in them? Should I consider having all my older slabbed coins reholdered to prevent future damage? I have several OGH and rattlers.

Do the older holders have PVC in them? Should I consider having all my older slabbed coins reholdered to prevent future damage? I have several OGH and rattlers.

I am confident that it's the coins, not the holders, that are the problem. Perhaps they had a faint trace of PVC at the time they were encapsulated and it proceeded from there?

I have also seen quite a few coins in older holders with unsightly haze or which have turned/changed in the holders (due to having been doctored or improperly rinsed after a dip).

It amazes me how many things are similar between comic and coin collecting. Discussions about dishonest sellers on ebay, forgeries, undisclosed restoration/manipulation and old label versus new label comarisons are found on both the coin and comic sides of this place.

the only coin i found in an older holder that i thought had upgrade potential i resubmitted only to get the seem grade, i still think it should be a point higher :(

I had the same experience although I'm not sure if the coin really deserved the upgrade looking back on it.

I do think this perception of the rattlers/OGH are a bit overstated and I'm agreeing with James here in that recently I've seen many older holdered coins that I thought were in fact overgraded. I could just as well be overstating that too but there were a number of these in a recent auction that I simply could NOT believe were so bad. Maybe just an oddity...dunno.

jom

It amazes me how many things are similar between comic and coin collecting. Discussions about dishonest sellers on ebay, forgeries, undisclosed restoration/manipulation and old label versus new label comarisons are found on both the coin and comic sides of this place.

The biggest difference between the comics guys down the hall and us is that most of them are CRAZY..............in a good sort of way though!

Chris

I am confident that it's the coins, not the holders, that are the problem. Perhaps they had a faint trace of PVC at the time they were encapsulated and it proceeded from there?

Can you put a percentage on that - in regards to PVC issues ?

That is scary! I have looked at my old ones under glass and haven't noticed anything amiss, but that is frightening to consider that we need to worry about this as well? Add it to the list I guess, along with Chinese fakes, over grades, market grading, eye appeal, and general shenanigans related to online coin purchases.

Can you put a percentage on that - in regards to PVC issues ?

Sorry, not really. It would probably be a tiny percentage, but if you look at hundreds or thousands of older holder coins, you will eventually see some. I have seen quite a few over the years.

Sorry, not really. It would probably be a tiny percentage, but if you look at hundreds or thousands of older holder coins, you will eventually see some. I have seen quite a few over the years.

Oh okay.. I was hoping you would say that...

The biggest difference between the comics guys down the hall and us is that most of them are CRAZY..............in a good sort of way though!

Chris

If you hung out in comics general, you would be crazy too. :grin:

Chris

If you hung out in comics general, you would be crazy too. :grin:

Crazy perhaps but I see the same indignation on both sides of the boards when

an ebay seller is selling a trimmed or restored comic undisclosed or an ebay

seller selling a counterfeit or cleaned coin.