• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Make your own sticker, jack up the price

77 posts in this topic

Put your own sticker on the slab, heck even stick it on an ANACS, and ask a big premium over market!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1862-1-Dollar-US-Gold-Coin-ANACS-MS-62-/200536857812?pt=Coins_US_Individual&hash=item2eb0ed9cd4

I'm referring to the nice round orange sticker in this photo.

Buy it now for the Bargain price of $1,280.

:jokealert:

Retail for an MS63 is $1300, so asking $1280 for a coin that the seller believes is a 63 seems nothing other than reasonable.

What source are you using to determine that retail price? Not challenging your claim, just curious as to what the best source is in determining such.

Put your own sticker on the slab, heck even stick it on an ANACS, and ask a big premium over market!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1862-1-Dollar-US-Gold-Coin-ANACS-MS-62-/200536857812?pt=Coins_US_Individual&hash=item2eb0ed9cd4

Retail for an MS63 is $1300, so asking $1280 for a coin that the seller believes is a 63 seems nothing other than reasonable.

The last five MS63's sold by Heritage (three of them PCGS and the other two NGC) brought between $603.75 and $920. Whatever source you used (if any) for your "retail" price, is not credible, at least with respect to that item.

The last five MS63's sold by Heritage (three of them PCGS and the other two NGC) brought between $603.75 and $920. Whatever source you used (if any) for your "retail" price, is not credible, at least with respect to that item.

And thats IF youre willing to ignore its in a NEW anacs 62 holder altogether.

I don't lose one wink of sleep over what someone else prices their coins at. If I'm interested in the coin, I will inquire with a reasonable offer. He can choose to decline or accept my offer. If he declines, I move on.

I don't lose one wink of sleep over what someone else prices their coins at. If I'm interested in the coin, I will inquire with a reasonable offer. He can choose to decline or accept my offer. If he declines, I move on.

+1

I just don't like the insinuations that go on about it being some scam. After reading all of this I still agree with James above....get educated.

If you don't like the coin and the price don't buy it.

jom

The freedom to price something anything you want comes with the baggage that others have the same freedom to talk about it if they want to. If in fact the seller is offering something at a reasonable price, he is getting lots of free advertisement by this discussion and has nothing to worry about.

If you like one of Julian's coins but don't care for the ebay listed price sit down with him at any major show and he will work with you!

The fact that Julian's listing (who I do not know) was on my OP, has nothing to do with him at all. Categorically speaking when I see an overpriced (in my opinion) coin, I won't bother to waste my time bothering to open a discussion...often I hear some BS like "that coin is hot right now" -- of course if I offer the exact same coin, they will point out to me that my coin is of course "overgraded". It's remarkable how many TPG coins I have that are overgraded.

Just been my experiences over a few decades. I ignore dealers categorically if their prices are unrealistic. Personally, they kinda disgust me.

Redbook shows 1400 in 2009 for MS63.

That's irrelevant to a discussion about a coin's price/value at the present time. Even if Redbook prices are accurate at the time they are submitted, they are often outdated by the time the book goes to press. Never mind that this is 2012 and not 2009.

The fact that Julian's listing (who I do not know) was on my OP, has nothing to do with him at all. Categorically speaking when I see an overpriced (in my opinion) coin, I won't bother to waste my time bothering to open a discussion...often I hear some BS like "that coin is hot right now" -- of course if I offer the exact same coin, they will point out to me that my coin is of course "overgraded". It's remarkable how many TPG coins I have that are overgraded.

Just been my experiences over a few decades. I ignore dealers categorically if their prices are unrealistic. Personally, they kinda disgust me.

EBay in the last few years has become like the neighborhood of make believe and I'm not holding any dealers ask there against them. I don't list a lot on there anymore as if I do a listing like Julian's BIN w/ OBO... I these days just get a bunch of lowballers that make asinine offers of like 10 cents on the dollar thinking it's some sort of fire sale... You can get a bit callous after awhile and I can personally understand a higher ask just to hopefully get a legitimate reasonable offer.

EBay actually needs to add another seller option on their OBO's as right now there's only Accept, Decline, or Counteroffer... A high voltage electric shock delivery option at times would be very gratifying! ;)

That's irrelevant to a discussion about a coin's price/value at the present time. Even if Redbook prices are accurate at the time they are submitted, they are often outdated by the time the book goes to press. Never mind that this is 2012 and not 2009.

I assume the 2012 redbook is also close to this price. I left my new copy at work. I will check tomorrow. I see nothing wrong with pricing coins at full retail then offering a discount to those interested. We might not agree with the redbook prices, or greysheet at times, but there is something for everybody.

I assume the 2012 redbook is also close to this price. I left my new copy at work. I will check tomorrow. I see nothing wrong with pricing coins at full retail then offering a discount to those interested. We might not agree with the redbook prices, or greysheet at times, but there is something for everybody.

It's wrong to make such a baseless assumption. Generic type 3 Indian Princess Gold Dollars have dropped significantly rather recently. For instance, a generic 64 was selling, on average in excess of $1,200 (if my memory serves me correctly) at Heritage ( a couple of years ago; 2009-2010?) and now they routinely sell for the $920-$960 mark. I know that a similar trend exists for 63s, but I'm too lazy to look it up right now (I remember the 64 prices because I purchased one not too long ago).

Many thanx for all the attention and responses that this thread has gotten, JOM just alerted me to it.

I have been dealing in coins for over 45 years and have gained a great deal of expertise in that time. I have looked at hundreds of thousands, if not millions of coins during that period. I can grade coins as well as anyone at the services and also believe that more than grade goes into a price.

I can price coins at whatever level I believe is appropriate.

My ebay listings are retail prices. I am using Ebay as a tool to attract appreciative collectors.

I do not ever encourage anyone to purchase coins as an investment. Coins are for collectors.

There have been many others over the years that have stated that my prices are high, but then so are Tiffany's items highly priced, especially when comparing them to 47th St jewelry exchanges. I offer excellent customer service and freely offer counsel to collectors on any easily answered question or my opinion of a particular coin.

As was previously stated, feel free to ask me to justify any price. I will be happy to.

Just don't expect me to sell you the coins for what you think that they are worth. A successful sale is completed when both parties are satisfied.

Many thanx for all the attention and responses that this thread has gotten, JOM just alerted me to it.

I have been dealing in coins for over 45 years and have gained a great deal of expertise in that time. I have looked at hundreds of thousands, if not millions of coins during that period. I can grade coins as well as anyone at the services and also believe that more than grade goes into a price.

I can price coins at whatever level I believe is appropriate.

My ebay listings are retail prices. I am using Ebay as a tool to attract appreciative collectors.

I do not ever encourage anyone to purchase coins as an investment. Coins are for collectors.

There have been many others over the years that have stated that my prices are high, but then so are Tiffany's items highly priced, especially when comparing them to 47th St jewelry exchanges. I offer excellent customer service and freely offer counsel to collectors on any easily answered question or my opinion of a particular coin.

As was previously stated, feel free to ask me to justify any price. I will be happy to.

Just don't expect me to sell you the coins for what you think that they are worth. A successful sale is completed when both parties are satisfied.

I don't understand why you use Logic to support your Right to pursue your eneavors in whatever legal manner you deem is best for you and your client(s).

That is just not fair.........

Respectfully,

John Curlis

Coin World Coin Values is $1300. Auctions are not retail venues. And like used cars, low end material tends to be placed into auctions, whereas a "cream puff" is will be sold retail at considerably over wholesale price.

Coin World Coin Values is $1300. Auctions are not retail venues.

Auctions typically represent actual transactions, many of them involving purchases by collectors at "retail" price levels. If Coin World Values lists the coin at $1300, it is not realistic.