• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Make your own sticker, jack up the price

77 posts in this topic

My favorite "excuse" for such situations when they have come up in the past ATS is "Well if he's also paying those prices then its OK"...So if the dealer overpaid for coins its OK to pass along those mistakes to the seller lol.

I'd LOVE to know what was paid for that BEAUTIFULLY toned peace dollar.

Folks, a sticker on a slab is but a 4th-party endorsement on a 3rd-party grade. Wake up. That's all it is. Some collectors get their kicks out of collecting John Albanese 4th-party endorsements. Some IHC and FE collectors get their kicks out of collecting Rick Snow 4th-party endorsements on those coins. There's nothing wrong with stickering a coin as a means of showing one's approval of it, and if one's a prominent collector or dealer, that kind of endorsement is market-significant, these days, at least, in the opinion of some. Get over it. This is "market grading," after all, wherein we're now even accustomed to letting a stupid thing like pedigree enhance the grade.

Folks, a sticker on a slab is but a 4th-party endorsement on a 3rd-party grade. Wake up. That's all it is. Some collectors get their kicks out of collecting John Albanese 4th-party endorsements. Some IHC and FE collectors get their kicks out of collecting Rick Snow 4th-party endorsements on those coins. There's nothing wrong with stickering a coin as a means of showing one's approval of it, and if one's a prominent collector or dealer, that kind of endorsement is market-significant, these days, at least, in the opinion of some. Get over it. This is "market grading," after all, wherein we're now even accustomed to letting a stupid thing like pedigree enhance the grade.

The sticker reference the op made was not literal. Did you even see the sticker? It has nothing to do with Albanaese or Snow's stickers. The tongue in cheek went over your head.

The sticker reference the op made was not literal. Did you even see the sticker? It has nothing to do with Albanaese or Snow's stickers. The tongue in cheek went over your head.

Was it tongue-in-cheek or a trial run? Whatever it was, there's a market for those, these days, and, my point was, all they are are endorsements. Big deal.

Was it tongue-in-cheek or a trial run? Whatever it was, there's a market for those, these days, and, my point was, all they are are endorsements. Big deal.

Read the original post, your reply doesn't make any sense. You got lost somewhere.

Thank you for bringing that to the attention to those who post without reading/understanding the original post that, of course, was tongue in cheek.

Quite interesting the twists and turns my innocent post generated.

There's a market for label stickers from Staples with grades written in felt tip pens? Are you sure?

Read the original post, your reply doesn't make any sense. You got lost somewhere.

I saw the reference to the joke in the post but when I clicked the link and saw the sticker on the eBay listing I didn't see any reference to any joke, there. Still, let's awaken to the fact that these stickers are but endorsements, that's all I was really trying to say. Something like this shouldn't even be controversial. If somebody wants to put their endorsement on a coin and ask a premium for it, more power to them, let the market decide, that activity shouldn't be reserved to only a few...

I saw the reference to the joke in the post but when I clicked the link and saw the sticker on the eBay listing I didn't see any reference to any joke, there. Still, let's awaken to the fact that these stickers are but endorsements, that's all I was really trying to say. Something like this shouldn't even be controversial. If somebody wants to put their endorsement on a coin and ask a premium for it, more power to them, let the market decide, that activity shouldn't be reserved to only a few...

If you were talking about CAC and Snow stickers I could understand your post, but do you SEE the sticker in the picture in the first thread?

If you were talking about CAC and Snow stickers I could understand your post, but do you SEE the sticker in the picture in the first thread?

Yes. I get the joke-worthiness of the post. I'm speaking to stickers, generally.

Yes. I get the joke-worthiness of the post. I'm speaking to stickers, generally.

Well then yes I agree with you but it was a misdirected rant at the sticker industry because this is just one of those stupid stickers you put on test scores and what not. And the sticker was just a gateway to the real underlying problem of this dealer pricing his coins in outer space.

Well then yes I agree with you but it was a misdirected rant at the sticker industry because this is just one of those stupid stickers you put on test scores and what not. And the sticker was just a gateway to the real underlying problem of this dealer pricing his coins in outer space.

It's his coin and he can ask whatever he wants for it. Is that better?

Well, I'm glad you added something to this thread that was already established on page 1 of the replies. :golfclap:

Well, I'm glad you added something to this thread that was already established on page 1 of the replies. :golfclap:

And I'm glad you were able to figure out that's why I hadn't "added" it in the first place. Very well done.

Wow....you can't say this seller doesn't have a pair....

You know, I think I have one just about like that one....maybe I could offer it up for $200k even and under sell the guy?

Nothing wrong with the listing. If you defend Juliancoin like so many people do you gotta defend this guy. I'm gonna offer 50k and see if I can get a good deal.

Nothing wrong with the listing. If you defend Juliancoin like so many people do you gotta defend this guy. I'm gonna offer 50k and see if I can get a good deal.

2 totally different situations and you know it. Not even close to the same playing field.

At least you guys built a nice portal to the 15th dimension with the quote replies.

Hey, you helped! lol

I was wondering how many layers this system would let us go :headbang:

2 totally different situations and you know it. Not even close to the same playing field.

I couldnt find the obvious sarcasm smiley anywhere.

How so?

How so?

The slabbed coin has a sticker the seller put on it to give it more appeal to make his asking price seem worth it.

the auction in the link I provided is for a raw wheat cent that looks like it would grade as Fine, overpriced to the extreme. If the seller had some sort of historic connection to this coin, like if it was in a collection from FDR, I would pay a bit more, but it would have to have paperwork to authenticate his claim.

But the listings in comparison are water and oil.

How so?

Its not different in theory but obviously I was just kidding. The cent guy is obviously in the outer space. Juliancoin i just out in the atmosphere. Meaning there is a chance it might sell for his prices, unlike the cent. Still not a dealer I would buy from based on those prices.

How so?

The slabbed coin has a sticker the seller put on it to give it more appeal to make his asking price seem worth it.

the auction in the link I provided is for a raw wheat cent that looks like it would grade as Fine, overpriced to the extreme. If the seller had some sort of historic connection to this coin, like if it was in a collection from FDR, I would pay a bit more, but it would have to have paperwork to authenticate his claim.

I see no deception by either seller, and asking prices which appear to be too high. And I have seen many asking prices for certified coins which appeared to be even (far more) too high.

What if the seller of the Lincoln Cent were asking $100, instead, and the Gold Dollar were priced at $3000? Would you still say "But the listings in comparison are water and oil"?

What I think with the Juliancoin listing is he understands the market, and figures that to the right buyer, he will get his asking price. Theres nothing wrong with that. If I had a coin that was NGC certified MS66 and the census on that coin was 5 graded at MS66, I would ask around $30 more, hoping that someone who knows that its going to be difficult to find that coin in that grade for less in the future. And I'm sure the other 4 people who have that coin thought of this as well. I don't know exactly what Juliancoin thinks but in my opinion, he believes some collectors will pay what hes asking on the coin.

The penny on the other hand....I'll save my money for a roll of BU Carson City morgans!

How so?

I see no deception by either seller, and asking prices which appear to be too high. And I have seen many asking prices for certified coins which appeared to be even (far more) too high.

What if the seller of the Lincoln Cent were asking $100, instead, and the Gold Dollar were priced at $3000? Would you still say "But the listings in comparison are water and oil"?

Yes I would still say that. If he was asking $100 for that cent, It would atleast need to be uncirculated for me to even consider it.

And look at the metal value of copper and then gold. If the coin is buy it now for $3000 not graded but raw, but is worth $375 in gold, I wouldn't mind waiting a while for the coin to be worth what I paid. If gold doesn't rise, the gold coin is still worth numismatic value. The 1913 penny, is not in good enough condition to ever make $100 off it, and it may take 300 years for copper prices to be high enough to sell it for a profit.

Put your own sticker on the slab, heck even stick it on an ANACS, and ask a big premium over market!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1862-1-Dollar-US-Gold-Coin-ANACS-MS-62-/200536857812?pt=Coins_US_Individual&hash=item2eb0ed9cd4

I'm referring to the nice round orange sticker in this photo.

Buy it now for the Bargain price of $1,280.

:jokealert:

Retail for an MS63 is $1300, so asking $1280 for a coin that the seller believes is a 63 seems nothing other than reasonable.