• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Make your own sticker, jack up the price

77 posts in this topic

Put your own sticker on the slab, heck even stick it on an ANACS, and ask a big premium over market!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1862-1-Dollar-US-Gold-Coin-ANACS-MS-62-/200536857812?pt=Coins_US_Individual&hash=item2eb0ed9cd4

I'm referring to the nice round orange sticker in this photo.

Buy it now for the Bargain price of $1,280.

:jokealert:

120328.jpg.80967657c3a963c8478ad0d671975ccb.jpg

Nice....I think you can get those red stickers for $1/hundred at Wallyworld. I should go get some and make my coins all more valuable.... :facepalm:

Yes, but get a few in a different color, they will make your coins even MORE valuable!

He is a forum member who has been in business for 40+ years. I am sure he knows what he is doing and does not have to overprice items and try to sell them. You might not like his price but that coin looks really nice for a MS 62.

I don't see any connection, whatsoever, between the sticker and the seemingly high asking price. The seller has other coins without stickers, with similarly aggressive asking prices. The sticker you pointed to is a non-issue.

He is a forum member who has been in business for 40+ years. I am sure he knows what he is doing and does not have to overprice items and try to sell them. You might not like his price but that coin looks really nice for a MS 62.

Fair enough, but asking MS64 money for that coin is laughable. If you look at the history of the coin, he has had 5 offers on the coin, and it has been up for sale on eBay for at least 15 months...these facts don't scream "reasonable seller". To boot, this seller currently has 1,746 US Coin items for sale on eBay. Of those, only 1 is an auction -- and that is for a replica coin, not even a real coin.

Does he have some nice items for sale? YES.

Does he have reasonable prices? NO, not even by Brick & Mortar standards.

Just my opinions. As I said, I'm sure he's knowledgeable, and it's his business so he can do whatever he wants to do. He just won't be getting any of my business anytime soon. (shrug)

I don't see any connection, whatsoever, between the sticker and the seemingly high asking price. The seller has other coins without stickers, with similarly aggressive asking prices. The sticker you pointed to is a non-issue.

Mark, I think the "sticker" issue was given as a "conversation starter". As you stated, the seller has very aggressive prices on all of his bigger ticket items....regardless of the TPG company or the absence or presence of stickers...

Fair enough, but asking MS64 money for that coin is laughable. If you look at the history of the coin, he has had 5 offers on the coin, and it has been up for sale on eBay for at least 15 months...these facts don't scream "reasonable seller".

Julian takes on tons of consignments. Have you considered that maybe it's a consignor to him that is being unreasonable?

Indeed, I get that a lot :( .

Fair enough, but asking MS64 money for that coin is laughable. If you look at the history of the coin, he has had 5 offers on the coin, and it has been up for sale on eBay for at least 15 months...these facts don't scream "reasonable seller".

Julian takes on tons of consignments. Have you considered that maybe it's a consignor to him that is being unreasonable?

Indeed, I get that a lot :( .

James, Julian, like any other seller, is, of course, free to price coins as he pleases, and for whatever reason.

However, I don't give sellers a free pass for taking coins on consignment at absurd asking prices and then marking them up from there. I often turn down consignments because I would feel extremely uncomfortable offering them to clients at the prices which would be required, based on what the would-be consignors are seeking.

I also believe that offering consigned coins at unrealistically high prices is bad business - it potentially harms the reputation of the dealer, even if he is marking the coin up by only a small amount. I see it as a situation with a lot more downside than upside.

I've seen Julian ask very high prices for coins such as TPG certified MS Bust Quarters that he says are Proof (along with the high asking price). But I don't have a problem with it. The way I see it if I were to drop $20K for a proof Bust Quarter I should know the difference between a proof and a regular strike regardless of what the TPG thinks. If I disagree then if I still like the coin I can always make an offer. He can accept or decline.

I've know JL about 18 years and have never known him to try to rip someone off....if that is what is being implied here. However, I agree with Mark in that too high prices can potentially harm business and the dealer's rep. Then again, JL has been in business, what, 45 years or so...I guess it hasn't been too bad for him. Even if his business hasn't been great that's HIS problem, no?

If you find the coin price too high...just offer a price if you like it. Whether that coin has been on eBay 15 months or 15 years why do you care? I knew a dealer that had a certain 18-D dime at his table at Long Beach for a good 7/8 years. Every show...same dime. And he wanted too much. I don't see how that harmed me or anyone else. It might have harmed HIM...I don't know...but that's his business.

IMO, there is just too much whining about what dealers ask for coins. There are far more unscrupulous practices going on that just asking too much for a coin.

jom

I've seen Julian ask very high prices for coins such as TPG certified MS Bust Quarters that he says are Proof (along with the high asking price). But I don't have a problem with it. The way I see it if I were to drop $20K for a proof Bust Quarter I should know the difference between a proof and a regular strike regardless of what the TPG thinks. If I disagree then if I still like the coin I can always make an offer. He can accept or decline.

I've know JL about 18 years and have never known him to try to rip someone off....if that is what is being implied here. However, I agree with Mark in that too high prices can potentially harm business and the dealer's rep. Then again, JL has been in business, what, 45 years or so...I guess it hasn't been too bad for him. Even if his business hasn't been great that's HIS problem, no?

If you find the coin price too high...just offer a price if you like it. Whether that coin has been on eBay 15 months or 15 years why do you care? I knew a dealer that had a certain 18-D dime at his table at Long Beach for a good 7/8 years. Every show...same dime. And he wanted too much. I don't see how that harmed me or anyone else. It might have harmed HIM...I don't know...but that's his business.

IMO, there is just too much whining about what dealers ask for coins. There are far more unscrupulous practices going on that just asking too much for a coin.

jom

I was not implying that he was trying to rip anyone off. I was simply stating that, in effect, I have all of his coins on "insta-ignore" for my eBay browsing. As I said, he does have nice stuff for sale. I'm not whining; I just prefer a philosophically different business practice. Transparency in pricing and dealings are my preference.

Even if he has items on consignment, he should have enough years of experience and knowledge to inform the person consigning the item that they are likely asking too much. He (and anyone else) can ask whatever price they want for their items. And....those items will sit in their cases and in their eBay inventory for many months/years to come. I'm not losing any sleep over it.

-Brandon

jom

I was not implying that he was trying to rip anyone off. I was simply stating that, in effect, I have all of his coins on "insta-ignore" for my eBay browsing. As I said, he does have nice stuff for sale. I'm not whining; I just prefer a philosophically different business practice. Transparency in pricing and dealings are my preference.

Even if he has items on consignment, he should have enough years of experience and knowledge to inform the person consigning the item that they are likely asking too much. He (and anyone else) can ask whatever price they want for their items. And....those items will sit in their cases and in their eBay inventory for many months/years to come. I'm not losing any sleep over it.

-Brandon

I didn't mean to target you on the "whining" thing but I just see this far too often on the message boards...it's not so much that you don't like his prices but sometimes these discussions get personal. JL is a pretty good guy...like I said I've known him a pretty long time.

HOWEVER, you can choose to buy or sell to whomever you want to. And the more people that agree with you about JL's prices the less he'll sell. It could be bad for business.

But I am curious to one statement you made: What "Transparency in pricing and dealings" are you looking for? I don't see any cover up here. I know if I go to his table at Long Beach and I ask him about the one dollar gold I'd bet he'd say it was his opinion that the coin is MS64 (or whatever price he has it at). It's just his opinion. That seems pretty transparent to me. However, maybe I misunderstand your point there...

It is likely I'm going to ask him about this pricing thing at the coming show...if I remember. Should be interesting....

jom

EDITED: On the coin in question above...if that coin doesn't have any hairlines you can't see in the photo the coin is better than MS62. Of course, that's just based on the photo.

jom

-Brandon

I didn't mean to target you on the "whining" thing but I just see this far too often on the message boards...it's not so much that you don't like his prices but sometimes these discussions get personal. JL is a pretty good guy...like I said I've known him a pretty long time.

HOWEVER, you can choose to buy or sell to whomever you want to. And the more people that agree with you about JL's prices the less he'll sell. It could be bad for business.

But I am curious to one statement you made: What "Transparency in pricing and dealings" are you looking for? I don't see any cover up here. I know if I go to his table at Long Beach and I ask him about the one dollar gold I'd bet he'd say it was his opinion that the coin is MS64 (or whatever price he has it at). It's just his opinion. That seems pretty transparent to me. However, maybe I misunderstand your point there...

It is likely I'm going to ask him about this pricing thing at the coming show...if I remember. Should be interesting....

jom

Well, most simplistic -- the guy works for PCGS -- if he thinks that coin should be in an MS64 holder then get it put in one!!! As for transparency, that is somewhat roadblocked in this case by eBay's policies. He can't outright say "I believe this coin is undergraded, and would grade MS64 on resubmission." BUT, if he thinks the coin is undergraded there is a simple solution to that -- get it regraded.

Transparency to me means, list the coin for what you want for it. Not what you wish you could get for it. Wishful thinking pricing (or aggressive pricing as some call it) screams dishonesty to me. It's just my opinion, but that's just how I am wired. I always feel better about getting a fair price on a coin as marked, than having to play "guess my price" with a dealer. The idea of setting "Buy it Now" prices high with a "Make Offer" button is too much of a game for my taste. And if a coin has had multiple offers that were either ignored or declined I believe it is at least a small testament to a sellers mentality.

Transparency to me means, list the coin for what you want for it. Not what you wish you could get for it. Wishful thinking pricing (or aggressive pricing as some call it) screams dishonesty to me. It's just my opinion, but that's just how I am wired.

I am in complete and utter disagreement. On the contrary, our entire Capitalist society is steeped in the right for anyone to get as much as they can at anytime for their wares and service, within the parameters of the law. I personally would sign up with the military and fight for that right if I had to, because that kind of personal liberty represents everything I believe in. I would NEVER give up that right, nor expect someone else to.

I always feel better about getting a fair price on a coin as marked, than having to play "guess my price" with a dealer. The idea of setting "Buy it Now" prices high with a "Make Offer" button is too much of a game for my taste. And if a coin has had multiple offers that were either ignored or declined I believe it is at least a small testament to a sellers mentality.

I understand and respect your opinion, but this is simply a case of personal responsibility. Rather than trying to put the blame on sellers, take the initiative yourself! Discover the price you are willing to pay, and make that your offer, period. It's simply pass or play at that point. This is my single most successful way of buying coins.

It's discouraging to read and hear about so many folks (not you personally!) whining about so many dealers and their "high prices". It's really very simple. Take responsibility for knowing what YOU are willing to pay, and stick to your research.

I agree he has pricing I am not interested in whatsoever, which is frustrating because I have seen some nice coins in the past. But he has the right to ask 1 million $ for each of his coins if he wants. And double but, I also feel anyone has the right to whine about it.

Transparency to me means, list the coin for what you want for it. Not what you wish you could get for it. Wishful thinking pricing (or aggressive pricing as some call it) screams dishonesty to me. It's just my opinion, but that's just how I am wired.

I am in complete and utter disagreement. On the contrary, our entire Capitalist society is steeped in the right for anyone to get as much as they can at anytime for their wares and service, within the parameters of the law. I personally would sign up with the military and fight for that right if I had to, because that kind of personal liberty represents everything I believe in. I would NEVER give up that right, nor expect someone else to.

Well James, I'm not sure what honesty and transparency has to do with the economic systems of the world or military protection thereof. I was simply stating that transparency in terms of asking what you truly want for a coin is a more effective business practice. I believe this has been evidenced even here on the NGC forum. Almost nothing posted in the "Marketplace" without at least a reasonable starting price sells. When a seller has the gall to either not price an item at all or to price it so high as to be a joke then many buyers will pass.

I always feel better about getting a fair price on a coin as marked, than having to play "guess my price" with a dealer. The idea of setting "Buy it Now" prices high with a "Make Offer" button is too much of a game for my taste. And if a coin has had multiple offers that were either ignored or declined I believe it is at least a small testament to a sellers mentality.

I understand and respect your opinion, but this is simply a case of personal responsibility. Rather than trying to put the blame on sellers, take the initiative yourself! Discover the price you are willing to pay, and make that your offer, period. It's simply pass or play at that point. This is my single most successful way of buying coins.

Even buyers who do their due diligence in research and "initiative" cannot reason with delusional sellers. What you describe as "pass or play" is exactly what we all have to do, but if you start from at least a reasonable point then the "play" or game part of the transaction is at least minimized. Your wording makes it seem as if the transaction is a one way street with all of the "personal responsibility" on the buyer. That equation protects the savvy and informed buyers, but leaves the uninformed or new collectors ripe for the picking. Yes, information is power. If you believe that "power" should be used by sellers to prey on less informed buyers, then that is your prerogative.

Just curious, but are you suggesting that a seller should just throw all of his slabs in a glass case, none marked with prices, and put up a placard stating "make me an offer"? Try that at your next coin show and see how well you fare. By the way, I have had no dealings with you, so I don't know if you're a dealer, collector, or a little of both?

Just curious, but are you suggesting that a seller should just throw all of his slabs in a glass case, none marked with prices, and put up a placard stating "make me an offer"? Try that at your next coin show and see how well you fare.

As a matter of fact, I HAVE tried that tactic. It did not do well for me, which is why I put prices on everything now. That perfectly exemplifies the Capitalist self-correction at work. I found something that failed, and was reasonably insightful enough to realize I'd better try something else.

Most important though, the RIGHT to make the attempt was something I could not appreciate more.

By the way, I have had no dealings with you, so I don't know if you're a dealer, collector, or a little of both?

I started out 100% collector, then moved to (say) 85% dealer, 15% collector. A few years ago, I found that I simply don't have the time to do the job right for a large number of clients, and so now, I'm the reverse, maybe 85% collector and 15% dealer.

Several very good coin friends are 100% full-time dealers, but the majority of my coin friends are full-time collectors.

I pretty much agree 100% with James here. I say, if a seller wants to be delusional...let'em! I think sellers should be allowed to ask whatever the heck they want...hopefully without being labeled a crook. Buyers just need to be educated.

jom

I pretty much agree 100% with James here. I say, if a seller wants to be delusional...let'em! I think sellers should be allowed to ask whatever the heck they want...hopefully without being labeled a crook. Buyers just need to be educated.

jom

Just one last comment: I'm fine with delusional dealers as well. It makes it easy for me to skip right over them and move onto the next reasonable dealer. The point I was trying to make was that, even if a price is attached to coins, if it is high enough there might as well be no price marked. And, as James testified to, the "make me an offer" system simply doesn't sell coins.

As a disclosure, I am 100% collector and 0% dealer. I sell maybe 5-10 coins a year on eBay or on the forum boards when I make upgrades to my collection or change my collecting interests.

As seems to be the case for most things here, we for the most part fundamentally agree, even if it takes 2-3 levels of explanation to get to it. :blahblah: The joys of online communication...

Nice....I think you can get those red stickers for $1/hundred at Wallyworld. I should go get some and make my coins all more valuable.... :facepalm:

Yes, but get a few in a different color, they will make your coins even MORE valuable!

make them multiple color and then do that. instant rarity, if the system works ..........

For only US $295.00(6x premium for that beautiful toning) you can crack it out and try and get it into a genuine holder.

I cannot believe that the linked coin actually graded. It almost looks environmentally damaged to me.

For only US $295.00(6x premium for that beautiful toning) you can crack it out and try and get it into a genuine holder.

I wouldn't pay melt value for it, and if I owned the coin I would attempt to enforce the guarantee.

I cannot believe that the linked coin actually graded. It almost looks environmentally damaged to me.

I wouldn't pay melt value for it, and if I owned the coin I would attempt to enforce the guarantee.

That coin is grossly over priced for what it is. It sure makes the seller look bad.

That coin is grossly over priced for what it is. It sure makes the seller look bad.

I completely agree. Apparently though, this guy is "above" the pricing of coins reasonably. I mean, after all, he has been a dealer for more than 40 years, so he must know what he is doing.

As someone stated on another forum I frequent, just because you have been doing something for 40 years, doesn't give you a "pass" card for knowing what you are doing. It could very well just mean you've been doing it wrong for 40 years. ;)