• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

This is a 50F Coin

18 posts in this topic

It was inexpensive, bought it last Saturday at the coinshop here, and I spent the last hour and a half attempting SCANNING it then PHOTOGRAPHING it, just to finally come up with this image (from photo). 893frustrated.gif Anyway, it's a nice 1976 coin.

f89ee084.jpg

The scans were worse than the photo? shocked.gif

Anyway, it is a nice looking coin.

-j

Malheureusement, I don't know how to scan. frown.gif But thanks!

That looks much nicer than the ones I tried to pawn off on you. smile.gif

I'm sorry I don't recollect those days. My mind wanders and isn't a steel trap.

This is a 50F Coin

I concur.

Seriously, is that one of the giant French silvers - the "hercules" design I think?

Nice to see you branching out and posting over here. flowerred.gif

-JamminJ

I concur.

Seriously, is that one of the giant French silvers - the "hercules" design I think?

Nice to see you branching out and posting over here. flowerred.gif

-JamminJ

I would not know off-hand if it is a "hercules" design, being ignorant of esoterica. All I know is this coin was worth face-value about 10 bucks back in the seventies when 5F equaled a dollar more or less. And thank you for your encouragement that I post here.

That looks much nicer than the ones I tried to pawn off on you. smile.gif

I'm sorry I don't recollect those days. My mind wanders and isn't a steel trap.

Well, then you'll truly be surprised when you find them with your detector.

I got my detector out for the first time this year, yesterday. I searched the yard for about 10 minutes and found a nail, a bolt, and a Florida quarter one of the kids dropped. I think I'll go hit a park this weekend.

Well, then you'll truly be surprised when you find them with your detector.

I got my detector out for the first time this year, yesterday. I searched the yard for about 10 minutes and found a nail, a bolt, and a Florida quarter one of the kids dropped. I think I'll go hit a park this weekend.

We have hit a HUGE dry spell in our detecting efforts. We went out last weekend after a 6-week at least hiatus and found nothing. I have a new top-line Fisher and I can't find diddly. I have an album full of silver coins, Indian Heads, Mercs, etc., that we have taken out of there,...but now it seems dead. WE REALLY NEED A NEW ENDROIT TO EXPLORE!!

It does sound like you've worked it over pretty well... 893frustrated.gif I'm still looking for my first silver coin.

I'm still looking for my first silver coin.

Really? Well it won't be long if you put a little time into it. My wife actually found our best silver coin to date using a middling detector, 1896-S Barber Dime. Key date, I think...

fc6b3890.jpg

And believe it or not, I found this at that park in my first month of metal detecting 3 years ago. (1899 Half).

fdedf972.jpg

Those are great finds, TJ!!

Maybe if I go out and find something really cool like that, I could talk Arch into starting a metal detecting forum over here... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

That is a neat design. I almost purchased the gold piefort version (3oz of gold). Really neat looking.

You can find these nice from the Specimen sets. I've got one in NGC MS69 from one of these sets.

Here's my nice 1954 10F coin. It was in my inherited Dad's collection. cloud9.gif

fdedfb80.jpg

Here's my nice 1954 10F coin. It was in my inherited Dad's collection. cloud9.gif

Sentimental coins are always worth keeping. Nice to have something tangible to remember the connection.

I'm thinking about getting a 1914 20 francs, gold, with a large rooster similar to this one's, to add to my first world war collection.

-JamminJ

1914? Any particular reason for this date JamminJ?

I'll have to disagree with most of you, I find the angel design unattractive. Which is the reason why I'm interested in buying a 50F or 100F with Napoleon 3 in mint state, not the later angel issues. But that's just me.

I've seen this MS69 of gmargulli's on ebay. Nice.

1914? Any particular reason for this date JamminJ?

That's the only year the deign was issued which would fit with my World War I collection.

-JamminJ