• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Help please: Is there a known DDO for the 1923 Saint?

11 posts in this topic

I see doubling at the bottom of the digits in the date, as well as on the ASG's monogram. Three or four rays at the date are also modestly doubled.

Thanks in advance.

Edited to add: fine die crack through the tops of IBERT.

Yup I also checked the CPG and the net and found no references to a 23 DDO. Maybe you should send a picture to Ken Potter, I am sure there are some un"discovreed" varieties out there.

I see doubling at the bottom of the digits in the date, as well as on the ASG's monogram. Three or four rays at the date are also modestly doubled.

Sounds like you just described the 1926 DDO Saint.

I believe most of the known DDOs for the series show doubling in the same approximate area.

CPG doesn't come close to listing all Saint varieties, unfortunately.

While the '26 is listed as a tripled-die variety and is very common, I found it interesting to note that neither it nor any of the other DDO or RPM varieties for the Saint carry any premium at all according to the CPG.

Chris

While the '26 is listed as a tripled-die variety and is very common, I found it interesting to note that neither it nor any of the other DDO or RPM varieties for the Saint carry any premium at all according to the CPG.

Chris

This is very true, and in most cases they aren't even noted on the holders. My 26 is in an old rattler and it was pointed out by David Lange at the Portland ANA show in 2004 I think.

It may be because there's already such a disproportionate premium for the gold content. At any rate, when I am cataloging, I "put the glass" on every single coin (unless it's a bulk lot), and have a particular interest in scanning Saints for any interesting varieties. I sense that there are very few!

It may be because there's already such a disproportionate premium for the gold content. At any rate, when I am cataloging, I "put the glass" on every single coin (unless it's a bulk lot), and have a particular interest in scanning Saints for any interesting varieties. I sense that there are very few!

It sounds like a great set to collect. I'll probably start a St. Gaudens variety set when finances improve (i.e. I have a permanent professional position).

The $10 and $20 series likely include the same proportion of doubled dies and other "errors" as do silver dollars and half dollars.

Saint-Gaudens coins also have edge die errors and doubling but few collectors bother to look - and slabs hide the edge.