• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

toned 42-p walker

11 posts in this topic

i have had this one for awhile, one day i will send it to NGC. it has a real original look and the toning makes the luster rather subdued, but it is there in hand. let me know what you think

120016.jpg.b82ea6a0becc5306ee22b399480bbef7.jpg

120017.jpg.61749dc7d81e1aee333bccb1c9b0a14b.jpg

120019.jpg.be7b67b417100b2cffcccfe919350cff.jpg

120020.jpg.2325968e3d86015a59fef9078ce0581a.jpg

120021.jpg.66ca88ecafec68ec71db2fda433cc0ef.jpg

Dark coins with thick toning often tend to get punished in the grading room. I would grade this one MS-64, and would not waste the money to send it in to get graded.

Its not worth it to send it in unless its a high 66 with a shot at 67 - which this one is nowhere near.

I mostly agree with physics. I was gonna say MS 63 but it MIGHT make 64, certainly, no higher than that.

I would have to see it in hand to be certain that it is MS. The reason that I say MS 63 is , b/c the skirts look weak up the center but I DO see some decent luster there. That type of toning will not help the cause, either.

MS 63 is my best assessment.

I like Walkers with original toning like this one exhibits.

Here is a NGC MS67 for comparison.

WalkerRegistry006.jpg

From your photographs, I think this coin is a strong MS65. But TPGs can be very erratic when it comes to grading toned coins. If you are looking to sell you may want to submit for grading. If you are going to hold on, I would not grade this coin.

Carl

Let me add that I only was looking at that first image. That third image shows much BOLDER skirts. I apologize for not taking notice of that before. I now feel that MS 64 is a quite fair and reasonable assesment.

Is it just the photos or do I see a little bit of rub on the that right facing breast.

Do you notice how it is grayish llooking compared to the rest of the coin? It is also not toned, either.

I would have to see it in hand but my guess is that it may have some wear.

If that is the case, then it may be an AU 58.

I think I see some rub on the obverse. If so, I'd say AU58. If the discoloration is due to some odd patterned toning, then I would say that the strike and luster cap this to MS64 maximum for me. Regardless, it is not worth submitting for grading.