• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Easy series to master?

19 posts in this topic

I feel pretty confident in my skills with morgans (except VAMs) and have spent a couple years now learning about them. This year though I am going to try and branch out as I work on my type set and want to learn more about other series as I go.

I have thought about just starting at the beggining with large cents and working my may up by denominations.

Then I have thought about starting with the modern series and working my way backwards as I think it would be easier.

Then sometimes as I look at my book and see how much there is to learn I just think NO WAY, I will just pick I nice eye appealing example for each series and move on without realling learning about the series, after all everyone can't learn them all!

What would you do?

I don't know about anyone else, but if I attempted to learn about every series from the beginning moving forward, I wouldn't live long enough. There are so many varieties and/or peculiarities for each type that you couldn't possibly become well-versed in a short period of time.

If I were putting together a type set, I would simply look for a particular specimen that was attractive and affordable. As I progressed, it's possible that there could be a particular series that I found most intriguing, and I might choose to concentrate on that one set in addition.

As for VAM's, because there are so many, it's possible to spend a small fortune and never complete any one particular date/mm set.

Chris

I think most collectors start with inexpensive series like Morgan Dollars, Franklin Half Dollars, or Roosevelt Dimes. I know I did. Since then, I have expanded and studied most of the post Bust series silver coins.

Copper scares me, and Gold absolutely terrifies me. At this point, I think you should pick another silver series and give it a shot. I will tell you that Mercury Dimes are a very cool series to collect and I found them pretty easy to grade compared to some of the other silver series.

I feel pretty confident in my skills with morgans (except VAMs) and have spent a couple years now learning about them. This year though I am going to try and branch out as I work on my type set and want to learn more about other series as I go.

I have thought about just starting at the beggining with large cents and working my may up by denominations.

Then I have thought about starting with the modern series and working my way backwards as I think it would be easier.

Then sometimes as I look at my book and see how much there is to learn I just think NO WAY, I will just pick I nice eye appealing example for each series and move on without realling learning about the series, after all everyone can't learn them all!

What would you do?

I would move backward through the denominations, picking a single series to focus on each time. Pick a series that is very different from the previous, yet is also going to incrementally add to your education.

For example, do Kennedy half-dollars next.

Then, do Standing Liberty quarters in VF - a very challenging and VERY educational pursuit.

Next, do a set of 20c. These are far more challenging than expected if you include the rare proofs. Alternatively put together a "grading set" of 1875-S coins.

Next, do a set of capped bust dimes, then a type set of Seated half-dimes, then Jefferson nickels, an "odd denomination" type set, and a type set of all the cents.

.... or something like that lol !

Stay with the dollars and move on to Peace $...

They are under-appreciated. There are still raw gems in dealer cases selling for cheap and as you age it will be much easier on the eyes !

I would love to collect dimes but dang they are hard to see !

This year though I am going to try and branch out as I work on my type set and want to learn more about other series as I go.

What would you do?

As you work on your type set, some types will interest you more than others. Study these.

I think most collectors start with inexpensive series like Morgan Dollars, Franklin Half Dollars, or Roosevelt Dimes. I know I did. Since then, I have expanded and studied most of the post Bust series silver coins.

Copper scares me, and Gold absolutely terrifies me. At this point, I think you should pick another silver series and give it a shot. I will tell you that Mercury Dimes are a very cool series to collect and I found them pretty easy to grade compared to some of the other silver series.

I agree with Paul. When I first started as a young kid, I would only pull coins from circulation, but my first true numismatic coin was a Morgan Dollar. I can still remember how excited I was (I think I was only 12) to have purchased an nice uncirculated one for $20. I still have the coin today.

I would recommend a short set of Liberty Walking Half Dollars. You could then work your way backwards to acquire nicer pieces as you have more money saved up. I also like Seated Liberty Half Dimes and Trimes.

A type set is great because you get to learn about alot of different types of coins. Some are definitely easier than others - Morgans, Franklins, modern series, Barbers are all easy to grade. Some are more challenging, such as Bust and Seated material. I never liked copper so I avoid it, and gold is too expensive. And then you get to the really challenging series - Buffaloes, Walkers, and Standing Liberty. These are some of the hardest coins to grade, in my opinion (and some of the most beautiful). They should not be attempted until you have a solid grasp of grading.

When you include "Walkers" on your list of challenging coins to grade, are you referring to the striking issues? Even though some of the later dates have striking issues as well, do you believe that a short set would be difficult and challenging for someone to grade/maintain? I recommended the latter because they are relatively inexpensive and even MS65 examples can be had for under $200 of many dates and mint marks (referring only to those in the short set). Mistakes are likely to be less costly than with some other series.

When you include "Walkers" on your list of challenging coins to grade, are you referring to the striking issues? Even though some of the later dates have striking issues as well, do you believe that a short set would be difficult and challenging for someone to grade/maintain? I recommended the latter because they are relatively inexpensive and even MS65 examples can be had for under $200 of many dates and mint marks (referring only to those in the short set). Mistakes are likely to be less costly than with some other series.

A late date set is definitely the way to go to start learning the series - but yes, even that would be challenging to accurately grade (and not just rely on the slab). The intricacies of the design hide marks more easily than others, plus the striking issues make it more complicated. Luster doesn't flow as well, and is much harder to accurately gauge, especially on the reverse. Even I had a hard time consistently grading the series when I was attempting it (before I decided to do my PL set). Without a doubt, the Walkers are one of the hardest series to grade.

Their price makes mistakes less costly, yes - but unless you really know what you are doing, you are much more likely to make mistakes. That's why I don't recommend Walkers for beginners.

i am basically just starting, and decided to go with morgans, then peace. and if i get to it, half dollars. oh, and only toners. right now i'm about 5% coins and 95% bullion, and slowly converting. the only bullion i am adding are palladium and platinum.

i am basically just starting, and decided to go with morgans, then peace. and if i get to it, half dollars. oh, and only toners. right now i'm about 5% coins and 95% bullion, and slowly converting. the only bullion i am adding are palladium and platinum.

Welcome to the toning side of life... Morgans will be easy until you are ready to play in the deep end of the toning pool... Peace $ are much much harder to find and from the prices I am seeing now... choice PQ toned Peace $ are probably just as expensive if not more than Morgans because they are 10x as rare...

You can go on Ebay right now and find dozens of colorfully crescent toned Morgans...you wont find on Peace $...

Grading them isn't hard. Authenticating them is where you run into problems in this set. I'll wager there are 5 counterfeit Trade dollars on the market for every genuine one.

Grading them isn't hard. Authenticating them is where you run into problems in this set. I'll wager there are 5 counterfeit Trade dollars on the market for every genuine one.

Maybe true but once you collect these you can tell at first glance 99% real or fake and over 1/3 of mine were bought raw off of ebay so easy is in the eye of the beholder.

Then sometimes as I look at my book and see how much there is to learn I just think NO WAY,

There is no requirement that you have to learn it all in a very short period. In fact there is no requirement that you even have to learn it ALL. Just start and keep adding to your knowledge as the years go by. I've been at it for over forty years and I'm still learning more.