• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Newp - 1913 Type 1 Buffalo, guess the grade!

12 posts in this topic

hmm.. ms 65 ill guess. i think i see some sort of contact mark on the middle of obverse, and upper/mid of reverse on buffalo's body. I'm thinking the strike decent for that year though.

Be careful about relying on the grade of the holder. Even though some of the NGC no line "fatties" (i.e. older holders from the late 1980s and early 1990s) are generally conservatively graded, NGC did award dark coins with little luster higher grades if the other technical aspects were okay. I don't think the coin has the luster for a MS66 to be honest (especially on the obverse), and I'm not a fan of the toning. I would not crack it out; I'm not sure that you would be able to get it back in a 66 holder.

Be careful about relying on the grade of the holder. Even though some of the NGC no line "fatties" (i.e. older holders from the late 1980s and early 1990s) are generally conservatively graded, NGC did award dark coins with little luster higher grades if the other technical aspects were okay. I don't think the coin has the luster for a MS66 to be honest (especially on the obverse), and I'm not a fan of the toning. I would not crack it out; I'm not sure that you would be able to get it back in a 66 holder.

This is spot on.

Today I would call that a 64+, probably. In hand if the luster is strong enough, it might make 65.

If the image is from a scan, the luster wouldn't show. This coin may have more luster than what you can see. On the other hand, if this is a photo, you are absolutely right.

Luster tends to be subdue on Type 1 Buffalo nickels. I was going to say64 and have a comment similar to coinman and phyicsfan. Then again it's only a photo so it's tough to say exactly.

jom

Nice strike on the reverse. My first thought was a lower grade as it looked dull but images can deceive. Technically it makes it certainly. Some of my best online purchases were superb gems with blinding luster in hand despite the online image looking just like this. By the way, coins depicted by softly lit photographs are were the deals lay online... but they are a gamble.