• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Moisture absorbency

9 posts in this topic

I have noticed that the hard u.s.mint 25th anniversary cases came with packets of Silica. My question is would it be advisable to place these amongst my graded coins in an effort to keep moisture away....or will this harm my graded 25th ann. coins going forward.

I have been told that these packets are moisture absorbent material

Thank you

Good question. I can't imagine the silica gel doing any harm, but in order for it be effective, it would need replacing periodically, especially if you're in a damp location. If you're in a fairly dry area, you probably don't need to have it at all to reduce humidity inside the case.

I've seen US mint OGP getting mildew or fungus on the outsides of the cases, but don't recall ever seeing any on the insides, and never affecting the coins. The mildew on the outsides of the cases could be wiped away with a dry cloth.

Returning to the issue of the silica gel in the 25ths, I tossed mine into the trash.

Many coin supply shops carry silica gel canisters that will dehumidify your coin area. They are generally effective for a certain number of cubic feet, so you need to take that into account. They need to be recharged periodically, but this is a simple procedure of heating it the oven usually. Good ones come with a color indicator, when the indicator turns pink or blue or whatever, you recharge it. I recommend using one, especially if you live in a humid area.

Many coin supply shops carry silica gel canisters that will dehumidify your coin area. They are generally effective for a certain number of cubic feet, so you need to take that into account. They need to be recharged periodically, but this is a simple procedure of heating it the oven usually. Good ones come with a color indicator, when the indicator turns pink or blue or whatever, you recharge it. I recommend using one, especially if you live in a humid area.

But, But, But Hang on , aren't slabs waterproof and airtight ? :baiting:

Haha, I lol'd.

If you're like most collectors, you also have mint sets, coins in 2x2s, and a random assortment of stuff not in slabs. These also need protecting.

Airtight, not waterproof :roflmao:

But, But, But no worries, the mint may be coming out with Water Proofs sooner or probably later, just in case water leaks into yer slab...

I always keep silica packets in my coin cabinet. Whenever I buy things that have them in it, I toss them in the cabinet. Better safe than sorry!

would it be advisable to place these amongst my graded coins in an effort to keep moisture away....or will this harm my graded 25th ann. coins going forward.

It's a GREAT idea to take any steps you can toward lowering humidity. I believe it to be the second most important factor in preserving coins (the first being to avoid PVC at all costs).