• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is This a DDR?

12 posts in this topic

I just bought this coin on ebay because I thought it might be a double die reverse. Note the doubling on the wing tips and letters in the legends. Keoj didn't know for sure - he thought it might be strike doubling. I think it's too pervasive to be strike doubling - what say you?

1875-CC trade dollar

Not a doubled die, looks double struck in collar. The difference lies between having a doubled image on the die, and a completely normal die striking a coin twice. You'll notice that the devices are the correct thickness to the field and were hit again...that's in the strike.

coinman1794 : You are essentially correct in that what happened is a form of machine doubling...any doubling that happens in the press is machine doubling. However - the doubling in this case is too wide in spread to have been caused by a simple die bounce. This was caused by the lifting of the hammer die and a resettling of the hammer die...hence, double struck in-collar.

The term "double struck" refers more to the coins that are wildly mis-shapen due to two strikes, usually one in-collar and the other out of collar...the case Tradedollarnut shows is a more specific error than that.

As for value - absolutely no clue. That would be someone else's gig.

EVP - thanks for the comment.

That's the seller's picture off ebay.

I'll submit it anyway since there's a known DDR of that date - just in case. I figured as much because on a double die wouldn't only one wing tip show doubled? [the other would be hidden under the full wingtip]

TDN - I can tell you for sure it's not a doubled die. I'm 100% on that. If that's what you're submitting it for, you'd be wasting your money. If you're just submitting it to get it in a holder, that's a different story.

Exactly what devices are doubled in a doubled die depends on many factors. The classification of the doubling, the pivot point (if there is one), the strength of the doubling, the amount that a hub warped...lots of things can be determining factors.

You can usally tell if it is machine doubling if the doubled part has a shelf like apperance,which this coin looks like it has. If the double part has a rounded apperance with a line going though it it probally is a true doubled die. By the way, The CHERRY PICKERS GUIDE has a exellent article about all the differant types of doubled dies, hope this helps!