• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Scratch Resistant Holders posted by lancecoincollection

11 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

I know when I pay for a SRH that NGC will install the coin

in that holder. If I sell or buy a NGC coin, in that holder

There is no indicater on the holder, that it is that holder.

How can a buyer of my coin know I am telling the truth,is not

that the reason we get coins graded?

This is my first entry, the teaser should be the body. I can not

type Do not want to re-type this, so I will see how this turns

out.

See more journals by lancecoincollection

Hey Lance, that's a good point. Seems like NGC should put a little sticker or the SRH right into the plastic, or maybe on the paper label. They seem to be able put a million other things on their labels. Beawchan has a good suggestion of keping he invoice but I think most people, like me, either toss them, lose them, or just don't have the room to keep them. Now that I think of it I may even have a few the SRH's and not even know it.

Happy New year to all.

As far as keeping a reciept to show a buyer...NO!..NGC will not take a reciept that you purchased a 25TH aniversary set to be graded?

It is thier job to have it in the plastic that it is SRATCH RESISTANT and not ours to proove it. We may as well just have paper gradings then and hold the reciepts....funny let's go foward and not in reverse as it is 2012 er um my first reply and posting hope it helps sort's the matter

I did a little research and found out that you can mark a regular slab with a sharpee. But a scratch resistant holder the marker will not absorb, it will bead. Keep a napkin close to wipe the bead off. Try this on a rev lower corner or somewhere that will not bother you---small dot preferably.

You can also tell by the texture feel. The scratch resistant slabs feel slicker.

Later------Rick

I doubt you would get a premium for selling a coin in one holder versus the other holder anyhow. If you are worried about recovering the cost of the scratch resistant holder, just add that fee into your asking price and not even mention if it is or not to a perspective buyer. In the last year I have purchased about 50 graded coins, about 1/3rd of those have shown to be the SRH (refer to sharpie test mentioned above). But I have never paid more for a coin just because a seller claimed the plastic to be a SRH, infact, none of the sellers I have dealt with mentioned it either way.

I tend to agree with Chris1976 and that I would not pay a premium to buy a coin with a Scratch Resistant Holder, and in fact, I wouldn't have paid NGC to put my coins in one of those holders in the first place.

When I was recently submitting my coins to NGC, in fact, I was on the phone with one of their reps, and we were sort of talking out the difference between their regular holders and the Scratch Resistant holders -- and considering the needs of average collectors, the Scratch Resistant Holders seem like overkill.

The description on NGC's homepage indicates that their STANDARD HOLDER is used by The Smithsonian Institution for America's more treasured numismatic items. Frankly, if they are good enough for the Smithsonian, they're good enough for me.

In reading the description of what the Scratch Resistant Holders can actually withstand, it makes me wonder what collectors or dealers ever subject their coins to such conditions, even accidentally. NGC describes the holder's durability as follows: "It is engineered to withstand five rotations of coarse steel wool at 25 pounds of force without scratching."

Seriously? Whose holders are EVER submitted to such conditions, at least to justify an extra $5 per coin per holder on submissions, or an extra $7.50 per coin for re-holder submissions? Granted, getting the coins in such holders on certain MUCH MORE EXPENSIVE grading tiers, like Walkthrough (at $125 per coin) or even Express (at $60 per coin), seems reasonable since NGC includes the holders when the submitter is paying for such premium services.

For the average submitter, however, using services at a maximum charge of $30 per coin, the holder cost adds 16% to your grading fees per coin! The cost rises more substantially at lower tiers such as the Modern Tier at $14 where the additional $5 fee per coin adds approximately 38% PER COIN in your grading costs, and I don't see such a truly value-added benefit for the service, unless you intend to store your coins on the window ledge by the kitchen sink in direct sunlight and occasionally scrub them down with steel wool to clean any grease splatters.

Thus, I paint a TARGET on the Scratch Resistant Holders and say that like many of the special labels -- such as the "WINTER SCENE" label from NGC -- they are a marketing ploy that makes money for NGC, not the collector.

Just my opinion...

i never throw away an invoice for a purchase.....its your proof of cost basis...you do know that selling a coin is like selling a share of stock in the governments eyes...you will be taxed at the gross level unless you can reduce your amount (with receipts)....

This may not sound like a big deal ,(whats 15-28% +local+statetax), but it can be over time.....say like if you are 27 yrs old and you collect until you are 67 yrs old and now you want to sell off your extensive collection.....you could owe thousands more than necessary!!

Here is what counts; date you bought,amount you paid,date you sold, and amount you sold for --now its a profit(you owe taxes), or a loss (you can deduct).you can include grading/shipping/insurance in your cost of buying...

Don't let dealers intimidate you when you buy, ASK FOR A RECEIPT!

Just a thought for you younger ones....