• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

is this made by jerk or in minting?

29 posts in this topic

does it increase the value?

Yes, it does, but that coin has a big punch mark to the left of the "C" in "CENT" that would make it a "no grade" IMO. I think you can see the bump from it on the obverse below the word "LIBERTY."

It doesn't appear to be rounded. It looks more like it is beveled from both sides. Looking at the edge (view) photo, it looks like there is a ridge in the center. To me, this suggests that a pair of nippers were used. I think it is post-mint damage.

Chris

I vote authentic curved clippped planchet

usually blakesly seen 180 degrees from missing section

- not seen here because small clip and not much design element opposite area

edge, rim and letters near clip all look like they should

punch hole on reverse is post mint damage

e1cnr - the Blakesly effect is seen on even very tiny rim clips. The fact that it is not seen here, not even a hint of it, indicates this is a forgery. The beveled appearance of the cut also looks fake.

I vote PMD on this one.

For much more on the topic, including numerous picture of authentic clips, please see my article here: http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=41&Number=3563436

e1cnr - the Blakesly effect is seen on even very tiny rim clips. The fact that it is not seen here, not even a hint of it, indicates this is a forgery. The beveled appearance of the cut also looks fake.

I vote PMD on this one.

I agree, although it appears to have been "nipped" a long time ago. Either it reflects someone's idle time, or somebody just simply wanted to test out a new pair of nippers.

I think real. You have the weakness in WE, and the proper shape of the rim/clip interface clearly seen on the obverse. I think there is a faint Blaksley effect visible on both sides. (And technically speaking, that's actually not seen on all genuine clips.)

(And technically speaking, that's actually not seen on all genuine clips.)

I've looked at a lot of clips, and lets just say I've never seen a genuine one without it. Could you show me pictures of an indisputably genuine clip without it?

I still disagree - I would expect the wear pattern on the of the inside of the edge to be different than shown - also the letters of IN look to me not fully struck

I would need to see in hand to see if any metal flow and any weakness on opposite side

you are implying no Blakesly than not real - not true according to Fred Weinberg, whose opinion on errors is good enough for most people

I am not saying this coin is definitely authentic, but also do not agree that it is definitely PMD

similar item ATS, but inside outside edge different - less circulation after cause read FREDs comment

pics?

those don't like obvious blakesley effects to me, yet NGC, PCGS, ANACS thought good enough - of course they had coin in hand and could check metal flow, edge and stuff we can't see in partially blurry pics

c30091981-a.jpg

c30172713-a.jpg

c30662346-a.jpg

c31222540-a.jpg

I stand by my original comment that it is PMD. Forget about the Blakesly effect! Forget about metal flow! When a planchet is cut from the sheet metal, it does not produce a beveled edge like this.

Chris

It doesn't appear to be rounded. It looks more like it is beveled from both sides. Looking at the edge (view) photo, it looks like there is a ridge in the center. To me, this suggests that a pair of nippers were used. I think it is post-mint damage.

Chris

I totally agree.

authentic - this is worth more because of condition/date/mintmark

you should order a couple books by Whitman publishing

The official Redbook - The guide book of United States Coins

The official American Numismatic Association Grading Standards for United States Coins

maybe i will order them..

but im not a collector.

I'm afraid of being caught by the collector devil lol

just got some coins im gonna sell.

what i the value on a coin like this?

you have coins you wanna sell, but some worth $5 like first coin in this thread and some worth over $5K like 1904-S half

and many gold pieces over $1000

if you do not have any idea what is worth $5 and what is worth $5000, you are going to get screwed when you sell