• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Original of TR's 1904 letter that sparked the renaissance of American coinage!

17 posts in this topic

For those of you who don't read Coin World, the January 9, 2012 issue contains a front-page article by Roger Burdette that announces that the original of the letter written by Theodore Roosevelt to Secretary of the Treasury Leslie Shaw in 1904 that complained of the "atrocious hideousness" of our coinage has been located and, having been judged authentic, will, no doubt, be appearing in a Heritage auction in the near future.

Previously the letter's contents have only been known through a copy held by the Library of Congress.

Personally, I'll be looking forward to that auction, when I'll download a copy of the letter and insert it into the appropriate volume of Renaissance of American Coinage, Roger's monumental three-volume work on the most beautiful coins in American history!

It was a fun and challanging article to write. It took a bunch of research to validate, but the result was worth it.

Wow... I read that article....I didn't realize I was communicating with the author on this board though! Nice job RWB! I feel in the presence of greatness!

Thanks! But the real credit goes to Heritage and a bunch of experts who were involved in examining the letter and determining authenticity. I just built on what they did and added a little numismatic research.

I can’t help but imagine this original document as the center of a spectacular exhibit of coins and letters showing the insight and stamina required to get meaningful results.

Was that letter also the source of TR's alleged opinion that placing the words "In God We Trust" on coinage was sacrilegious?

Really? Wow.. I hadn't heard about that tidbit... TR actually said that? Now I remember hearing about the clamor of the "in God we trust" being left off the presidential dollars.... even though it was inscribed on the rim....

No. The letter to Sec Shaw said nothing about mottos - the IGWT comments came in October 1907 in a form letter written to several clergymen and others.

You can learn the entire story in the book "Renaissance of American Coinage 1905-1908."

Thanks RWB - I will add your book to my reading list..... Wow.. there is soooo much to learn about coins.... And I am just focusing on US coinage. I am not sure a lifetime would allow for learning about all coins everywhere....

Crohnos01:

I am very biased, but I think RWB's books are the best. You will want to buy all 3 of the Renaissance books; they are all a great read and totally full of great information.

Mark

Thanks for the advice Mark, I will do just that.... does anybody have the ISBN's for the books or can point me in the right direction to find them?

By the way, did I read this right earlier? The TR letter will be auctioned off?

Don't look at me.

I deliberately only posted about it here because I've found ATS to be rather tiresome lately.

lately? hm