• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sending a pcgs coin too ngc posted by pgera3

10 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

any value too send a pcgs coin too ngc

i was just wondering, when i look at pcgs and ngc census there are are big difference on amount of coins graded per grade, like pcgs 0 coin in proof 70 and ngc as over 200.

so my question is would it make sense for me too send a pcgs proof 69 too ngc and hoping a 70 will come back?

thank you for your imput

happy new year

patrick

See more journals by pgera3

Unless you are sure that PCGS has rate the coin wrong then you might get a hire or same grade. I think that a 69 from PCGS is equal to NGC 69. I truly do not think your grade for the 69 will change. If you like the NGC holder better then go for it. Here is what NGC writes about CrossOverss

"You may NOT request a higher grade than the grade on the current holder — Even though a higher grade cannot be requested when using the CrossOver submission, coins can cross at a higher grade level if they meet NGC’s standards."

http://www.ngccoin.com/news/viewarticle.aspx?IDArticle=1335

It is like submitting your coin for the first time.

Good Luck and Happy Collecting,

Ed

sig.jpg

sig.jpg

sig.jpg

sig.jpg

I'm not sure where you're looking for your populations, but both PCGS and NGC have graded oodles of Sacagawea and Native American dollars as PR70DCAM and PF70UC. If that's the coin your contemplating "crossing over" I would strongly recommend just purchasing an NGC PF70UC on eBay (or elsewhere).

119643.jpg.780af211cc8d8feabc4cf7e7afb94305.jpg

My 2 cents. Do not bet on a crossover. Once it is in a holder, it is rare to get a higher grade on a crossover, the existing grade does influence the new grader. If you are convinced that it is a true PF70, then you should crack it out of the existing holder before submitting. However, as many others have already told you, it is simply a lot less risky to buy one already graded PF70 UC by NGC.

When I read his post I thought it was strange. PCGS on some coins have PR70DCAM coins and sometimes more than 10 and NGC has never graded one as PF70UC. Take the Ike dollars for example and some early lincoln cents. NGC is very tight on some years for 70UC and seem to completely refuse to even allow a coin to make that grade.

I always try to buy the coin and not the holder as I have seen some PR70DCAM coins from PCGS not look as nice as coins in NGC PF70UC same coin same year. Yet some other PR70DCAM's look amazing, as coin grading is subjective it is bound to happen. But when 0 NGC exist where PCGS has graded 10 or more come on there is a problem with that. Could you really take every 1974 Silver Ike graded PR70DCAM and crack them out and submit them to NGC and at most ONLY get a PF69*UC and lose thousands of dollars in the process. I wonder at times if certain submitters just wouldn't let up and submitted the same coin OVER and OVER again until PCGS just gave up and gave them their grade! or is PCGS just that loose in comparison to NGC on these examples.

I prefer NGC graded coins but I am forced into buying PCGS coins from time to time to attain the highest grade. And on top of that PCGS coins are valued higher even though on some years their populations dwarf NGC's. Brg5658's sample of pops is accurate but if you go back into the early 1980's you will see a sudden reversal where PCGS coins heavily outnumber NGC's pop numbers.

I seriously question the accuracy of either company's pop reports. Unless a crackout artist at some point gives the grader back their labels they will really never be completely accurate.