• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question: do you like pictures of coin purchases displayed here?

46 posts in this topic

As I ponder whether to come over here or not for my coin posting pleasure, I was curious if the people here care for or not care for threads with pics of new coin acquisitions that may have something cool about them. For example, a rainbow tone, or a key date coin, or something otherwise considered neat. Myself, when I find a coin I really like I want to share the experience. Even if it may not be a $$$$ coin like a MS65RB 1909 VDB. But before I post any such pics or create such a thread, I wanted to know before whether that is welcome here.

Neil

I know I sure do! grin.gif

I think the general "look at this ebay item" threads dont go over well. But pics arent a problem. I have seen that they tend to spark conversations a lot more often here, instead of just the "nice snipe" or "cool coin" comments you will get over there.

Of course, thats just my opinion, but I dont think it would be bad either way. As long as you leave the general topics in the water cooler and the coin topics in here, life is good. smile.gif

Heck I started a state quarter thread here last week! It only had one other post, but no one yelled wink.gif

Neil,

Most of the folks here are very knowledgeable about a variety of areas. In general, however, we really just care about coins.

If want to talk coins, and if pictures will help, then by all means do so. If you want to talk coins, and a picture won't help but you want to post a picture anyway, then by all means do so.

If you want to talk coins, ..., then by all means do so.

If you (not you specifically) want to cause trouble or to troll, then by all means do not do so.

smile.gif

EVP

I always like looking at coins! The only caveat is that I don't so much enjoy the "look at this ebay auction" type threads, or the "look at this coins and tell me it's not (pick a number) higher than what (pick a grading service) gave it" But sharing new coins for the joy of new coins, that's a whole lot of fun! I plan on posting a couple when they arrive in the mail.

Neil,

I think the likes and dislikes of this board will become apparent based on the number of responses and the nature of the responses.

There is no thought police here, except for the all-powerful Arch! wink.gif Generally, no one here will rip you a new one just because you posted a yawner of a post.

EVP

EVP, I appreciate that you're speaking to a wider audience than myself. And the board does not have to worry about me being a troll. smile.gif It takes too much effort to be a troll! Here is an example of what I'm referring to when I talk about newly acquired coins.

Also, as some may have figured out from the PCGS boards, I am a prolific poster. I write fast, think fast, and love to talk! smile.gif

84679-buffalo.jpg

84679-buffalo.jpg.d6e618355647ed693c4d84b9737ccbdd.jpg

Oh, and when it comes to the whole arguing about a slabbed grade... I just cannot see the point! The arguing should be between the individual and the company. Griping doesn't solve problems.

Thanks for the vote of confidence guys! Being able to show some of my coins is important to me. I don't do it super duper often, but I guess I like to share. smile.gif

That's a nice looking coin. How dare you post a picture of a thoroughly attractive coin?

Since this is a coin forum, let me comment a bit more about that coin.

It is generally said about Buffs that D-mint specimens are poorly struck. IMO, that is a generalization that does not apply to the late date specimens.

One should easily be able to find a well struck '38-D. Still, that's a very well struck specimen and a real charmer!

Thanks for sharing, Neil!

EVP

WOW!! Thats a great strike on that there buffalo!! smile.gif See, now if you could post a picture like that, and then tell me something about it (I know nothing about buffalos) oh man, I would love that! I love to learn, Michaels posts w/ pictures are some of my favorite ones. I get to see a great looking coin, and learn something about it. Whether it is just some comments about the luster or strike or toning or why this particular coin is so great compared to others in the variety.

I think you will see, that even though this board has been around a while now, and has a small core group of posters, there is still plenty of room to grow! You post a lot, and your posts have substance. I think that even if your "style" was off from the norm today, it may be in the norm soon. This board is growing fast, and changing daily, and any new folks, that love coins, are welcome members! smile.gif (and I hate the regular smiley here, I much prefer grin.gif )

[edit] see, while I was typing, EVP went ahead and added the cool kinda of info I love so much! grin.gif

I love to look at great coins. That's why I wish both Registries would reward those who post pictures.

That's a sweet Buff! I am soooo tempted to start collecting 20th century as I do believe that around 1916 was the true revival of beautiful designs!

That buff is a MS66 coin. I really like it. The only thing is that I don't know tooo much about some of the coins I get. I just find that I like them. smile.gif But I am learning. I've only really started learning the more details things since June so I'm usually asking more questions about what I get then answering them. I hope to get to a point where I can discuss more of the features of a coin as well as just share a really cool coin. smile.gif

I suppose that's the nature of all places, when it grows it incorporates the personalities of those who make it up.Sometimes informative, sometimes just experiencing coin growth pains.... So I suppose you'd see a lot of me. smile.gif

Neil

Nice coin. I enjoy looking at people's coins............as long as they don't link an auction to show it. EVP is right in that most people say that D-mint struck Buffalos are poorly struck. I do agree that the earlier dates are poorly struck, but the dates in the 30s are struck better.

Neil,

I have a complete set of circ buffs, and I don't know a whole lot about them, just had fun putting them in a whitman folder! I do have one nice 38-D in 66 for my type set, and compared to yours, all I can say is WOW! That is a real beauty, nice luster and fabulous strike. Thanks for sharing it!

That Buffalo has as sharp of strike as my 67, nice acquisition.

Please feel free to share pics of your coins, old and new, I know I thoroughly enjoy seeing them and post when I get new stuff.

As to not knowing much about the coins you buy, if you have a particular type you are looking for, post about it and the board will probably be able to help you learn more about your future purchases.

I love seeing all pictures of coins. So much so, I'm about to adventure into taking pictures of my coins and posting them. (I got a Nikon coolpix for Christmas.) any and all "pointers" on how to do this, as mentioned above, is very helpful.

Thanks!

Andy laugh.gif

As I ponder whether to come over here or not for my coin posting pleasure, I was curious if the people here care for or not care for threads with pics of new coin acquisitions that may have something cool about them.

We LOVE pictures !!! Just no more proof Frankies and AH Kennedys, like those that dominate the board across the street !!! tongue.gif

We LOVE pictures !!! Just no more proof Frankies and AH Kennedys

Now I feel bad for posting my Franklin proof on the other thread. shocked.giftongue.gif

jtryka ... thats ok, it was just one!! and it had friends! grin.gif When you start obsessing about them, and try to make every thread about them, no matter what the original content, then we will shoot you and put you out of your misery! wink.gif