• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Another $1500 Toned Peace $...

20 posts in this topic

This time its a 1924 NGC MS64* with reverse toning... thats colorful but not exactly monster quality...

http://coins.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=1166&lotNo=7316&lotIdNo=339002

And 3 bidders are fighting over the coin at this point... so is this a 20x grey sheet color coin ? (interestingly the reserve still has not been met)

Thoughts ? (not my coin BTW)

Uggghhh...

I wanted that coin bad.

I bid it up to 300, and was willing to go up to 600.

Never in a million years did I think it would go up to 1500+.

Chalk that one up as a solid loss.

Uggghhh...

I wanted that coin bad.

While it might end up being "up to 1500+" at this point, all we have is an unmet reserve of $1500 hammer. And even if the highest bid by anyone other than the consignor has been only $1, it would still show (the reserve of) $1500 as the next bid.

Not if the seller gets his reserve! I'd call that a solid WIN for him/her.

But it's only a reserve and I'll go out on a limb and predict this coin won't sell.

jom

While it might end up being "up to 1500+" at this point, all we have is an unmet reserve of $1500 hammer. And even if the highest bid by anyone other than the consignor has been only $1, it would still show (the reserve of) $1500 as the next bid.

I was wondering about that... Thank you for clarifying that point...

Uggghhh...

I wanted that coin bad.

I seem to recall that the coin was in the $200-$300 range (the last time I saw it) before the reserve posted. I think his reserve price of $1,500 involves a lot of wishful thinking if he thinks it will sell at that price.

The toning is gorgeous and I like the grade NGC put on it. I think the coin rates every bit a technical MS64. Let the market decide what the toning is worth. This kind of toning isn't easily duplicated and as such warrants a premium over the technical grade, as it's that much harder to come by. At $1500, though, let's just call this another extreme example of the tail wagging the dog (i.e., I think that's silly money for what otherwise is just a technical MS64). I like it, though, for what that's worth...

While I personally think that toning is sensational (for a Peace dollar), there is no way in bloody you-know-what that I'd pay that kind of money for it. To me, it's something like a $250 coin.

yea 250 for it seems much more fair than 1500

i would have preferred some nice obverse toning. and it really is a common date coin for that price.

but i guess the case is more the price rather than the appearance, which isn't really questionable.

I would say thats a $500-$600 coin... but then again I didnt think the toned * Peace $ that went in HA's last auction was a $3400 coin so what do I know...

Call me crazy, but having it be reverse side "up" just seems like pandering.

Stupid me, I didn't even notice that! But, yeah, I knew they did it. Just didn't notice it, here, for some dumb reason.

That's the tail wagging the dog, though, alright. We know what's "important," now, in a coin like this, don't we? Is there any better way that could have been communicated to us? I think not.