• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WTT for 90% silver: PL coinage

16 posts in this topic

I have $1.05 face value in non-cull 90% silver. I am looking for the following coins graded Prooflike (+ indicates "or higher"). Any mint.

-Statehood quarter: MS66+

-Memorial cent: MS66RD+

-Jefferson Nickel: MS66+

-Half dollars: MS64+

Thanks for looking!

:o

Wow, thats a lot.

For those coins, yes. Before spending that much money, I think I would pick up a PL common date Morgan Dollar especially if you are just starting out (and not looking to build a complete PL type set like Jason).

Good suggestion, coinman - although for the budget noow mentioned, a modern PL would be much better. You can find any modern series (except dollar coins) on Ebay for relatively cheap. By modern, I mean generally post-1985.

None of the coins you have listed can be obtained for anywhere near the amount you are offering, except possibly the State quarter. Everything else is at least a $100 coin, or much much much more.

Are you basing your price estimate on condition rarities/super high grade pieces or coins that grade MS65 or so? I am surprised to hear your estimate is so high; I would have thought you could have picked up some of the coins for under $50.

None of the coins you have listed can be obtained for anywhere near the amount you are offering, except possibly the State quarter. Everything else is at least a $100 coin, or much much much more.

Are you basing your price estimate on condition rarities/super high grade pieces or coins that grade MS65 or so? I am surprised to hear your estimate is so high; I would have thought you could have picked up some of the coins for under $50.

Grade is not an issue as much as the designation is for PL's. Most of my collection, except for the moderns, is in the 64-65 range. Going solely by the list in noow's original post:

State Quarters - can be had for about $30 or so.

Wheat Cents - I've never seen a PL wheatie, although they do exist. If this ever came to auction, expect many hundreds of dollars, and it will be added to my set.

Memorial pre-1982 - again, never seen one. The modern era of PL coinage started in 1985 or so.

Jefferson nickel pre-1960 - These may be possible to find with some searching, but will not be cheap. Especially war nickels or earlier dates, these will be very expensive.

Half dollars pre-1980 - again, the modern era started in 1985. Before that, you had a few PL's in the 1969-1972 range, but those usually sell for $150-$200 (dimes and quarters are much more common, and they sell for $100-$150). Even earlier, 1964 produced a single graded PL, and you won't get that for less than a couple grand. Franklin's are another issue entirely - PL's start at about $600 in this series for a 64PL.

:o

Wow, thats a lot.

(and not looking to build a complete PL type set like Jason).

Unfortunately, that is the one thing we have in common hm

I'm looking for lesser-priced coins to satisfy my meager budget.

I'm looking for lesser-priced coins to satisfy my meager budget.

If you have a meager budget, you need to select a set to match. I would highly recommend you not attempt a PL set unless your budget can afford it - you won't get any further than the moderns, and get frustrated. The set of Mercs you mentioned previously would be much better for you.

The problem is, for the classic coins even low grade PL's are scarce and expensive.

I agree with Jason here; you could put together a short set of Mercury Dimes for very little money. Even MS65 examples can be had for $5-$15 each for most dates (especially Philadelphia mints from the 1940s). If your finances are very limited, you might even attempt a date set from 1934-1945.

Even if it is slow, I will still attempt to gather as many PLs as possible. I am planning on some budget changes but for now I will stick with the moderns. (I just used my coin funds on a 16-D Merc)

Good luck Sam. I also recommend that you start buying uncirculated rolls from your local bank at face value; you may be able to pick up a PL coin or two at face value. For the older dates, you can pick some up on eBay or post here and ATS. I wish you luck with your collecting endeavors.

Good luck Sam. I also recommend that you start buying uncirculated rolls from your local bank at face value; you may be able to pick up a PL coin or two at face value. For the older dates, you can pick some up on eBay or post here and ATS. I wish you luck with your collecting endeavors.

Thanks for the insight :)