• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1874-CC/1876-CC Trade Dollars

27 posts in this topic

Hey Guys,

I hope everyone had a great Holiday season!

Now, I know there are a lot of fake CC Trade Dollars out there. But these don't look fake because I see mint luster. I snatched them up as soon as they came up for auction.

1874-CC

1876-CC

Can fake coins exhibit luster?

Thoughts?

Bryan

Can fake coins exhibit luster?

Sure. Why not?

Any metal surface exhibits "luster".

Now, are you asking whether any fake coin can exhibit the luster of a genuine coin? It's possible for better die-struck fakes, but most fakes are too cheap to show deceptive luster.

Remember, you do have a limited Return Policy. I would suggest you make use of it. Bryan, there are some very good books to teach one about counterfeit detection and some specifically on the Trade Dollar subject. Happy hunting, and happy new year's.

the CC looks a little big and to the left

luster is the result of striking or surface manipulation

this coin looks played with, heavily cleaned and/or whizzed

you can take a VG coin and whiz it with a dremel and get luster

because you have rearranged the surface and exposed new metal

hopefully your items do not stick to a magnet and are at least silver

I've asked the seller to take them down to a jewelry store and have them weigh them.

But my Q is: What if they come back 27.22g?

Instead of doing that or (as you mentioned in another post), asking about a magnet test, you should cancel the transactions. Plenty of counterfeit coins exhibit varying degrees of luster. And to my eyes, the coins look off.

Do not buy coins of that type unless or until you become expert at assessing them. Otherwise, the odds are stacked dramatically against you.

What's a denticle?

Denticles are the little tooth-like design elements around the perimeter of the coin.

I think you need lots of research before buying ungraded coins.

It's probably a longshot, but if you were planning to attend the FUN Show in Orlando next week, there is a free seminar on Friday: Counterfeit & Altered Coin Detection.

Chris

The book "Numismatic Forgery" is a great read, and shows how high quality forgeries can be made, but it doesn't "reverse engineer" enough to show how the defects in fakes can be detected, and it does not go into transfer die forgeries-- the most common type-- in any detail. There is also very little written about the enormous number of fake slabs entering the numismatic stream, which contain either inferior genuine coins, or outright fakes. Take a look at this site: http://www.flickr.com/photos/coinforgeryebay/

No+4Me, that Flickr acct is a shocker

some very easy to detect, to some very good looking coins/fakes

and the good ones in fake slabs with nice peripheral toning would fool 99.5% collectors -

The book "Numismatic Forgery" is a great read, and shows how high quality forgeries can be made, but it doesn't "reverse engineer" enough to show how the defects in fakes can be detected, and it does not go into transfer die forgeries-- the most common type-- in any detail. There is also very little written about the enormous number of fake slabs entering the numismatic stream, which contain either inferior genuine coins, or outright fakes. Take a look at this site: http://www.flickr.com/photos/coinforgeryebay/

All PCGS fakes, and not a single fake NGC holder! Guess which holder I'd feel safest buying....