• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does anyone know if these cases hold NGC fatty holders?

6 posts in this topic

If they hold NGC slabs then they should hold fatties. However, I would be very hesitant to store coins in any wooden containers - the outgassing can often hasten toning in an unpleasant way.

Interesting, I have often wondered about that and figured that the wood stain would cause issues but do you know of any study or information to show what types of toning different types of wood have caused? I have a nice coin cabinet that I currently don't store any coins in for this very reason.

No, I don't know what effect different woods have. I know a more resinous wood would be worse, such as pine. Cherry and mahogany are generally considered safer. Obviously, the type of stain would affect this as well. Also, the material inside the case is going to have an effect - a genuine velvet is going to be more dangerous than some synthetics or cotton fiber.

Thanks for the advice Jason!

I am a little hesitant though as I have found out that fatty holders are indeed fatter than the regular NGC holders. (I need the case to hold 5 NGC slabs including one fatty)