• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Looking For Your Thoughts

9 posts in this topic

Which of these Jefferson Nickels should garner more points in the NGC 1957 Proof Set Registry:

A PF69*

or a PF 69 Cameo

Please explain your reasoning behind your response. I'll share mine in the future.

Thanks in advance! :)

Your questionable is a tricky one, because in reality it depends why the 1st coin got a *.

If it got a star for rainbow toning, it should get more points.

If it got a star for one-sided cameo, than obviously the 2nd coin should get more points.

Since it is imposssible to differentiate, the CAMEO designated coin SHOULD get more points.

STAR DESIGNATION

* The "Exceptional Eye Appeal" designation (indicated on the NGC label with a (*) symbol immediately following the grade) specifies a coin that NGC's graders determined to have exceptional eye appeal, perhaps because it possesses outstanding luster. It is simply a coin that, in the opinion of NGC's grading team, displays superior eye appeal.

A coin with star designation (*) is automatically assigned a Registry point premium in order to recognize its exceptional eye appeal for the grade.

Cameo of course. Why is there a question?

I have a PF69 Cameo Jefferson in my 57 Proof Set that is worth less points than a PF69*.

Super rare in Cameo and Ultra Cameo.

Just doesn't make sense to me.

STAR DESIGNATION

* The "Exceptional Eye Appeal" designation (indicated on the NGC label with a (*) symbol immediately following the grade) specifies a coin that NGC's graders determined to have exceptional eye appeal, perhaps because it possesses outstanding luster. It is simply a coin that, in the opinion of NGC's grading team, displays superior eye appeal.

A coin with star designation (*) is automatically assigned a Registry point premium in order to recognize its exceptional eye appeal for the grade.

Thanks Jerica.

I just don't understand the logic here. Both coins are PF69 which is rare and NGC felt they were exceptional for the year. I believe rarity in this particular example trumps "Eye Appeal". PF 69 to means that both have "eye appeal" or they wouldn't have garnered this high grade from NGC.

Just my opinion of course and I'll just have to live with the results.

It's all good and I still feel you do an exceptional job trying to keep everyone happy!

:)

Proofs tend to be cameo in appearance anyway (I know, know---some more than others) but I think a STAR with great color and eye appeal stands out alot more. IMHO. So I am voting for the STAR.

Cameo of course. Why is there a question?

I have a PF69 Cameo Jefferson in my 57 Proof Set that is worth less points than a PF69*.

Super rare in Cameo and Ultra Cameo.

Just doesn't make sense to me.

There are a lot of of coins with registry values that are nonsense. I find it laughable that a coin with mediocre contrast (i.e. not enough to garner a cameo and instead receives a star) would be weighted more heavily than a coin with full cameo. Because the application of the star designation is so variable and each coin is hard to quantify in terms of point values, I don't think ANY star coin should receive an additional points. This is the only way that I can see to apply the system fairly and uniformly while providing meaning to existing designations.