• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Noow's almost completely worthless experiments #5 + 6

58 posts in this topic

RESULT: The ICG slab I tested was waterproof.

An ICG 6 sample slab with a prooflike quarter was the "victim" of the experiment.

Prodedure: Fill glass with water. Submerge ICG slab in water for an hour. Remove slab.

Previous experiment results:

#1: 2x2s are not waterproof

#2: Mint set cellophane is not waterproof.

#3: PCGS slabs are waterproof (DEBATED)

#4: NGC slabs: some waterproof,

some not

UP NEXT: Whitman coin tubes!

EDIT:

Results for coin tube experiment #6 :

Whitman coin tube (tested) was waterproof.

Procedure: Fill nickel-sized Whitman coin tube with 30 dimes to act as an anchor, and seal the tube shut tightly. Submerge in water for 30 minutes. Remove tube.

Can everybody please repeat after me.

" PCGS will not guarantee coins affected by water "

This is misleading info NOOW :( All your experiments are doing is confusing people trying to learn the basics and frankly is really starting to P**S me off

Martin

RESULT: ICG slabs are waterproof.

An ICG 6 sample slab with a prooflike quarter was the "victim" of the experiment.

Prodedure: Fill glass with water. Submerge ICG slab in water for an hour. Remove slab.

Previous experiment results:

#1: 2x2s are not waterproof

#2: Mint set cellophane is not waterproof.

#3: PCGS slabs are waterproof

#4: NGC slabs: some waterproof,

some not

UP NEXT: Whitman coin tubes!

Didn't you learn anything from your "vacation"? doh!

Unless you tried this with all the ICG slabs that exist, your first line should read:

RESULT: The ICG slab that I tested was waterproof.

To state that all ICG slabs are waterproof would be a little absurd.

Paul

Didn't you learn anything from your "vacation"? doh!

I did realize some things about a forum member but I am not allowed to say anything about it ;)

People, please assume that none of the slabs or holders are waterproof. I believe our rug in the living room is fireproof. This doesn't mean I am going to start a campfire on it.

Unless you are the one that manufactored it, I don't think you should be making ANY comments as to what something does or does not do. Just because the speedometer goes to 180 doesn't mean to drive it that fast.

Unless you are the one that manufactored it, I don't think you should be making ANY comments as to what something does or does not do. Just because the speedometer goes to 180 doesn't mean to drive it that fast.

I was making a judgement based on my own observations.

Can someone give me definitive evidence of a PCGS slab not being waterproof? (e.x. Pic of an undamaged slab with water contained in it). This would be appreciated :)

Im confused why people get so uptight by Noow's experiments, granted they are pretty much worthless but he does disclaim this in the post title. And Im not sure how its confusing to new collectors, I think you underestimate new collectors common sense. its obvious he only tested one slab, but he is still accuratley discribing his findings. I also find NGC's response to the question interesting

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=5318304#Post5318304

Maybe Martin should have a few words with Max about how missleading he is being. I certainly would not recommend taking a bath with your coins but whatever floats your slab.

Nick

Im confused why people get so uptight by Noow's experiments, granted they are pretty much worthless but he does disclaim this in the post title.

Also, please read the featured disclaimer in my sig. line :)

IT Does .

This is because this refers to coins once they are encapsulated in the PCGS slab .

Read up , Post less

Yes, but it does not mean that PCGS slabs are not waterproof. It just makes a claim about the warranty should water damage affect the coin inside.

Im confused why people get so uptight by Noow's experiments, granted they are pretty much worthless but he does disclaim this in the post title. And Im not sure how its confusing to new collectors, I think you underestimate new collectors common sense. its obvious he only tested one slab, but he is still accuratley discribing his findings. I also find NGC's response to the question interesting

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=5318304#Post5318304

Maybe Martin should have a few words with Max about how missleading he is being. I certainly would not recommend taking a bath with your coins but whatever floats your slab.

Nick

Yes but, Schatzy found this on NGC's website:

Q. After encapsulation, can the appearance of a coin change over time?

A. Yes. In independent testing, the NGC security holder has been proven as the most effective grading service holder on the market today in minimizing the effects of oxidation. Even so, the NGC holder is not 100% airtight. Therefore oxidation, a normal process where air reacts with the surface of a coin, can continue after encapsulation. To further limit environmental hazards, we recommend storing your coins in a temperature-controlled, low-humidity area such as a bank safety deposit box. Be sure to check with your bank for rules and regulations concerning the storage of these items

Nick

A. Yes. In independent testing, the NGC security holder has been proven as the most effective grading service holder on the market today in minimizing the effects of oxidation. Even so, the NGC holder is not 100% airtight. Therefore oxidation, a normal process where air reacts with the surface of a coin, can continue after encapsulation. To further limit environmental hazards, we recommend storing your coins in a temperature-controlled, low-humidity area such as a bank safety deposit box. Be sure to check with your bank for rules and regulations concerning the storage of these items

The 2nd quote makes no statement about the waterproof-ability of NGC slabs. And no, airtight does not equal waterproof because water is much denser than air so it is much harder for water to get in the slab alone than air.

Nick

The 2nd quote makes no statement about the waterproof-ability of NGC slabs. And no, airtight does not equal waterproof because water is much denser than air so it is much harder for water to get in the slab alone than air.

I sugest you don't take up scuba diving.

NOT AIRTIGHT = NOT WATERPROOF :idea:

Okay Noow, so if a slab has a hole in it (i.e. it is not airtight) do you think the slab will still be waterproof? Moreover, where did you take your science courses? Your claims are categorically false.

NOT AIRTIGHT = NOT WATERPROOF :idea:

Okay Noow, so if a slab has a hole in it (i.e. it is not airtight) do you think the slab will still be waterproof? Moreover, where did you take your science courses? Your claims are categorically false.

AHA! But what if the slab does NOT have a hole in it? Like in a previous thread, my slabs are unaffected by physical damage. Everyone knows that a holed slab is not waterproof, no need for loopholes (pun intended) as my statement above was true.

^^

As has been repeated to you ad nauseam, your "experiments" lack scientific and statistical validity and your categorical conclusions are not supported by the data.

Fancy words to try to win an argument? My procedures for the waterproof slab experiments were all mapped out.

Read up, post less ;)

Nick

Actually I went scuba diving with the dolphins 2 weeks ago in Hawaii.

Nick

If you are SDI certified like I am, you should know about underwater pressure. Like I said in your other thread, I am done here. This is beyond rediculous.

Nick

If you are SDI certified like I am, you should know about underwater pressure. Like I said in your other thread, I am done here. This is beyond rediculous.

My test was done in a glass of water and as stated in a previous thread, results may vary due to water pressure. (Also assuming that there is no physical damage)

Thanks, most of you, for making clear arguments that are reasonable instead of unreasonable insults like... (hinthint)

As has been repeated to you ad nauseam, your "experiments" lack scientific and statistical validity and your categorical conclusions are not supported by the data.

Fancy words to try to win an argument? My procedures for the waterproof slab experiments were all mapped out.

Read up, post less ;)

There is nothing fancy about my language and clear logic vindicates my position. I'm not sure where you are pulling your "science" information, but as someone with a background in science and mathematics/statistics, your claims and "facts" are complete garbage.

Read up, post less ;)

There is nothing fancy about my language and clear logic vindicates my position. I'm not sure where you are pulling your "science" information, but as someone with a background in science and mathematics/statistics, your claims and "facts" are complete garbage.

Please explain how my experiments " lack scientific and statistical validity and your categorical conclusions are not supported by the data. "