• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Barber Dime.. Let me hear your judgment

8 posts in this topic

In all likelyhood you reduced the value of the coin. It is difficult to tell from those pictures but it is almost certain there are telltale signs of your cleaning it which pretty much ruins a lot of the value.

General rule....never clean coins with by mechanical means or chemical. A gentle rinse is fine in water or a dip in acetone, but that is about it.

What did you do to clean it?

btw, the 1902-S is your best date/mm of the bunch with 2,070,000 minted and it runs about $140 in XF and $200 in AU.

the 1908-S had 3,220,000 minted and goes about $45 in XF as a comparison.

the 1908 is the most common of the bunch with 10,600,000 minted and is listed at $22 in XF.

i just used some hot soft water.

If that's the case you might be OK. It looks better from the pictures since it took off that crud, I would just be concerned about causing hairlines from rubbing it. If you just used some water you are probably good.