• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1778 Macin's Mills restoration

16 posts in this topic

I recently dug this 1778 Machin's Mills Copper Halfpence and I was thinking of sending it to a restoration company. Has anyone heard of Noble Roman Coins out of Aneheim,California? I would ultimately like to sell this coin if I can get it graded after a restoration attempt.Any opinions please share your thoughts. Thanks in advance

119448.jpg.391322471e1799dfcec6127ef4297da8.jpg

119450.jpg.c0fe357e03ac86f5795f87f2a1cfdf47.jpg

agreed

first step is post this great coin with great photo you already have over on the ncs coin conservation forums and ask them!!

see what they say and i bet they can help you with professional conservation that will help bring out more of the coins true beauty and saleability and possibly? getting it holdered

good luck with it and please keep us informed and also

welcome to the forums (thumbs u

I recently dug this 1778 Machin's Mills Copper Halfpence and I was thinking of sending it to a restoration company. Has anyone heard of Noble Roman Coins out of Aneheim,California? I would ultimately like to sell this coin if I can get it graded after a restoration attempt.Any opinions please share your thoughts. Thanks in advance

NCS may be able to remove surface contamination that will otherwise lead to further deteriorationof the coin, now that it is exposed to oxigen. Dug coins are not the same thing as crusty original coins; they require conservation.

If you just plan to keep it raw, the wax is probably ok; but if you are having it slabbed, the wax must first be removed. Depending on what's in the wax, it may or may not be harmful to the metal over time.

The coin cannot be "improved" or restored, but frankly, it looks perfectly acceptable as-is to me. Why mess with 200 years of history?

There are a lot less things that you can get away with when it comes to messing around with copper. The hard core collectors who like this stuff expect it to look like the one you have. If you have someone mess with it, those collectors might be a lot less interested.

Most people who collect "pre federal" copper don't care for or about slabs.

The coin cannot be "improved" or restored, but frankly, it looks perfectly acceptable as-is to me. Why mess with 200 years of history?

There are a lot less things that you can get away with when it comes to messing around with copper. The hard core collectors who like this stuff expect it to look like the one you have. If you have someone mess with it, those collectors might be a lot less interested.

It is never a good idea to leave loose dirt on coins.

Rmoving loose dirt is one thing ... scraping off corrosion is another. I'm talking about the corrosion.

(thumbs u

For a dug coin, distilled water is all I would use to loosen the surface dirt which you already did. Beyond that I wouldn't do a thing. Anything further that you try will end up ruining an otherwise very cool coin. Leave it alone and appreciate it for what it is!

Rmoving loose dirt is one thing ... scraping off corrosion is another. I'm talking about the corrosion.

Bill,

An attempt to remove corrosion would, in fact, be inexcusable, as that goes well beyond conservation into the realm of doctoring, i.e., surface alteration. I suggested the removal of surface contamination, as opposed to leaving the coin as it emerged from the ground. I can't tell where dirt ends and vertigris begins, in a picture, however.

What he originaly said was:

I'm just wondering if I can get the surface dirt off. I only rinsed it in distilled water and there still is surface dirt as you can see by the pics.