• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What are your thoughts on this 1818 Capped Bust Half?

11 posts in this topic

I'm looking to upgrade the piece I currently have in my collection with this piece what are your thoughts? I thought it looked pretty decent in the photos.

1818_USA_11893.jpg

Here is the piece I currently have.......the reverse is nice, but the obverse has had a light wipe.

1826O7.jpg1826R7.jpg

1826anacs.jpg

I very much like the look of the AU example, BUT for what look to be a couple of black spots on the reverse. Of course, in hand and without magnification, they are probably far less conspicuous.

I very much like the look of the AU example, BUT for what look to be a couple of black spots on the reverse. Of course, in hand and without magnification, they are probably far less conspicuous.

They were a bit of a concern to me as well. They might be just some gunk or a spot of toning in a recessed area or they could be the start of some corrosion.

I like the look of the 1818, but from the photos it's difficult to tell what that toning really looks like. From these photos, it looks like copper corrosion, but in hand it could be lovely halo toning that I really enjoy.

Outside of the spots and the issues with the toning, the reverse looks gorgous in my opinion. Given those considerations I would certainly be open to purchasing that coin if priced appropriately.

I gather you are upgrading as a type, correct? hm

If so, I think (based on the photo) that there are plenty of CBHs out there that you can get at a reasonable price in or around this grade. The new coin does look like it has some nice color though....it'll come down to the luster if it were me and you can only see that in hand.

jom

If so, I think (based on the photo) that there are plenty of CBHs out there that you can get at a reasonable price in or around this grade. The new coin does look like it has some nice color though....it'll come down to the luster if it were me and you can only see that in hand.

jom

He has to have an anacs photo cert with it, which makes these tough as nails.

jom

He has to have an anacs photo cert with it, which makes these tough as nails.

Ooooohhhh...he needs to find a nice coin AND the cert. Yikes.

In that case, buy this one! Look for hairlines from any early cleaning and get an idea of the luster. If it checks out...go for it!

jom